No. 1 team awaits Virginia

Cavaliers travel to Sunshine State to face off against three top-25 opponents

The season will not get any easier for the Virginia softball team, as its next stop will be in Lake Buena Vista, Fla., where it will compete in the ESPN Rise Tournament. The Cavaliers (9-5) are hoping to build off their upset against No. 11 Hawaii last weekend against a slate of some of the nation's most formidable squads.

"We do try to schedule a top schedule," senior catcher Allison Pittman said. "The ACC features a lot of good pitchers, so instead of making an easy schedule where we don't really play anybody, we like to face the top teams. We feel it kind of boosts our chances of doing better in the ACC."

Virginia is scheduled to face off with three teams ranked in the top 25 nationally, including No. 1 Alabama, this weekend.

The Cavaliers will open the tournament with a matchup against No. 18 Louisiana-Lafayette Friday morning. The Ragin' Cajuns (14-1) boast one of the country's best pitching rotations. Their staff has recorded 10 shutouts in 15 games this season, and only once has it allowed a team to score more than one run in a victory. Although the Cavaliers are aware that it will not be easy to score against the Ragin' Cajuns, they aim to make their opponent earn every out.

"The key for us is to just put the ball in play," Pittman said. "If we put it on the ground we might not necessarily get hits, but we'll make them work and make errors. And when we get on base, that's when we can steal bases, move up bases and run all over teams."

The second game of the Friday doubleheader will pit the Cavaliers up against No. 13 Oregon (14-2). Unlike the Ragin' Cajuns, the Ducks' biggest strength is their offense, which has propelled them to eight or more runs in nine of their last 16 outings.

Sophomore outfielder Samantha Pappas and junior shortstop Kelsey Chambers, who have combined for ten home runs this season, lead Oregon's high-scoring group.

"We'll attack them just like we'll attack anyone," assistant coach Geoff Hirai said. "Just like we attacked the Arizona or the Hawaii hitters, who we held to just four runs. We'll do the same thing against Oregon, and we'll definitely have a plan against them."

Saturday's slate of games looks to be the least challenging for the Cavaliers, but it will be by no means easy. The Cavaliers first will face Illinois State (9-5), a team that is coming off a 9-0 victory during which freshman pitcher Taylor Baxter tossed a perfect game. Virginia will then match up against Long Island, which had received votes in the top 25 preseason poll but has since posted an abysmal 3-12 record. The Blackbirds know what it takes to win, however, as they made it to the regional round of the NCAA Tournament last season.

Following these contests, the Cavaliers will play undefeated and top-ranked Alabama. The Crimson Tide (16-0) boast a well-balanced roster that can excel both on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball. Alabama has scored in double digits during seven of its games, while also preventing seven opponents from scoring a single run. Only three of their 16 wins have come by fewer than six runs.\n"The last game is when you can muster up all the last energy that you have," Pittman said. "We have nothing to lose and they have everything to lose, so its one of those things where you give it everything you have and see what happens."

Following the ESPN Rise Tournament, the Cavaliers will return home for their home opener against Longwood March 8.