Team to challenge Jackets

Georgia Tech comes to The Park hoping for 22 straight conference series wins

The Virginia softball team will host its last home series of the season this weekend as it welcomes No. 22 Georgia Tech to The Park for a three-game stand.

Virginia (21-23, 4-10 ACC) clinched its series against the Hokies last weekend in dramatic fashion, erasing a two-run deficit with a furious rally during the final inning. The Cavaliers hope to sustain the momentum from that walk-off win against the ACC-leading Yellow Jackets.

"We're coming off the big Virginia Tech win Saturday night, and I think now we have that confidence," senior catcher Alison Pittman said. "It just showed us what sheer energy can do. And if we can find that same energy and bring it this whole entire weekend we can be very deadly."

"Deadly" is also a fitting description of Georgia Tech's offense this year, as the Yellow Jackets (37-8, 11-1 ACC) lead the ACC in just about every important offensive category. They are the only team in the conference to have a team batting average greater than .300 and their .607 slugging percentage is more than .150 points higher than any other teams' mark.

Most impressively, the Yellow Jackets' 85 total home runs nearly double the ACC runner-up in the category - North Carolina with 43 - and gives them the second best mark in the entire NCAA.

"Obviously they're a dangerous team, [as] they're leading the conference and doing well nationally," coach Eileen Schmidt said. "From an offensive perspective they bring a lot of power, so you have to keep them in the park. If you can keep them in the park you have a chance, so that will be the key to this weekend."

Leading the way for the Yellow Jackets is junior shortstop Kelsi Weseman, who leads the conference in batting average, slugging percentage, on base percentage, runs scored, RBIs, home runs and total bases. Her slugging percentage of 1.000 is more than .200 points higher than the second place ACC hitter and is good for fifth best in the nation, while her 18 home runs are eight more than the entire Cavalier roster has hit combined.

And although it would be tempting to pitch around such a dangerous hitter, the Yellow Jackets make that task difficult as well. Their entire lineup is a test for opposing pitchers, as the worst batting average among their everyday starters is still an impressive .295. If the Cavaliers hope to minimize the long ball, they will need to do more than just shut down Weseman, because Georgia Tech has four other batters with double-digit home run totals.

"Weseman has really stepped up this year ... and amazingly she has gotten better as the year has gone on," Schmidt said. "And they're also very balanced all the way up, one through nine, and their first three kids off the bench are very solid too. So it's definitely going to be a test for our pitching."

Georgia Tech compliments its talented lineup with an equally impressive rotation of pitchers. The Yellow Jackets boast arguably the best staff in the ACC as they have three dependable and celebrated pitchers at their disposal. Sophomore Hope Rush - a pre-season Player of the Year Watch List member - and senior Kristen Adkins provide experience, while freshman Lindsey Anderson has provided youthful energy during her strong rookie campaign.

Each ranks in the ACC top-10 list in both ERA and opposing batting average. Additionally, Adkins leads the league with a 1.49 ERA and Anderson's .153 opposing batting average is second on the list. All three pitchers produce the same great results, but have different pitching styles, which makes facing them a challenge.

"Rush is a rise-baller and hard thrower while Atkins goes off speed and low," Pittman said. "So you really have to switch your mental mindset and your approach when you go up to bat. And that's why it seems they're doing so well, because they're such different styles."

The Cavaliers know that this weekend's matchup will not be easy - Georgia Tech has won 21 straight ACC series - but they are still confident that they can emerge from the weekend with a series victory.

"You have to give them credit, they are a really good team," Pittman said. "But at this point for us, we have nothing to lose, so we just have to go for it ... And I feel like we can win this series"