Revenge film hits mark

Zoe Saldana stars in fast-paced flick that delivers strong performances but doesn

"I want to be a killer," says 9-year-old Cataleya Restrepo in the early moments of the film Colombiana, when asked what she wants to do with her future.

This conviction foreshadows Cataleya's transformation into a vengeful assassin upon witnessing the cold-blooded murder of her parents. The name "Cataleya" originates from the Cattleya orchid, a native Colombian flower known for its exquisite beauty. Staying true to her name, Cataleya blossoms into a gorgeous woman. But underneath her pretty exterior, Cataleya is ice cold. She lives to vanquish the scum of the world. But above all, she lives to exact vengeance for the death of her parents.

As Cataleya, Zoe Saldana delivers a superb performance. Saldana effectively conveys the two sides of Cataleya: the lethal seductress and the lonely, family-loving woman. For Saldana, Colombiana was the next step in her rising career. After playing a major role in James Cameron's Avatar, Saldana was ready to be the star of her own film.

Saldana, however, was not the only actress on the rise in Colombiana. Twelve-year-old actress Amandla Stenberg is impressive in her role as young Cataleya - she deftly deals with her parents' deaths, running away from hired gunmen, and traveling to the United States from Colombia. Stenberg's strong performance in Colombiana is a good sign for her