'Muppets' ham it up

Puppets return to big screen

"It's time to play the music, it's time to light the lights/ It's time to meet the Muppets on The Muppet Show tonight!" The infectious theme song for the iconic Jim Henson show gets the big-screen treatment as Kermit the Frog and the gang reunite for the first time in 12 years. Their latest adventure, The Muppets, garnered a great deal of buzz before its Nov. 23 nationwide release - and with a 98 percent positive score on ratings aggregate Rottentomatoes.com, fans should expect to hear about the furry friends for a while. I deem the feel-good film a must-see.

In the movie, Gary (Jason Segel) and his brother Walter (a puppet voiced by Peter Linz), both diehard Muppet fans, travel to the Muppet studios in Los Angeles with Gary's girlfriend, Mary (Amy Adams), for the couple's 10-year anniversary. Upon traveling to the Muppet Theater, Walter is shocked to overhear evil oil baron Tex Richman's (Chris Cooper) plans to destroy the theater and drill for oil. Walter, Gary and Mary then track down Kermit, and together, they set out to reunite the Muppets to save the Muppet Theater.

In an imaginative leap, Segel - who also wrote the screenplay - places our favorite members of the gang into a post-fame world out of touch with the original Muppet spirit. Fozzie Bear has been performing stand up with his pseudo gang called "the Moopets" at a cheap joint in Reno; Miss Piggy has become editor