Bet on this

Neigh-sayers beware: Spielberg

Steven Spielberg's War Horse is an old-school epic, and it comes with both the good and bad characteristics attached to that label. The movie's classic atmosphere means that although it moves at a slower pace than most modern moviegoers expect, War Horse is also incredibly well-made. Adapted from a critically acclaimed play, War Horse was hotly anticipated prior to its Christmas day release. Eager fans approached the movie with some caution, yet most were pleased by the adaptation.

Set against the backdrop of World War I, War Horse is the story of a boy, a horse, their incredible bond and the journey which tests their relationship. While such a bond might push the limits of believability for a general audience, animal lovers know such animal-human relationships can overcome nearly anything.

Jeremy Irvine plays Albert Narracott, a young English boy who falls in love with his horse Joey after winning him in an auction. In his first starring role in a feature film, Irvine's acting brings his bond with Joey to life as the pair endures economic hardship, jealousy and a world war. Spielberg's commitment to the classic epic makes War Horse unique among the dark and cynical films which contemporary audiences have come to expect in theaters.

Even if you're not his biggest fan, Spielberg is undeniably a movie-making genius, and the brilliance of his work shines through in War Horse. In classics such as E.T. and Jurassic Park, his use of color is of particular note and the dramatic landscapes and sweeping cinematography never failed to tap into my emotions.

The portrayal of World War I accentuates the violence which many generations of Europeans suffered, as Joey's journey through Western Europe touches multiple people from all walks of life. The movie demonstrates how animals touch people in their darkest time, a poignant idea which becomes one of the most powerful themes of the film. War Horse may be outdated, but it's intentionally old-fashioned to replicate the films of yore, and the nostalgic trip is worth taking. The movie is definitely not for every viewer's taste - an appreciation for the slower pace, a happy ending and human-animal friendships is necessary - but if this sounds like your cup of tea, War Horse will not disappoint.