Glenn and Rosie

Glenn

Hometown: Portsmouth, Va.

Year: 2015

Major: Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering

Sexual orientation: Straight

University involvement: Intramural sports, Outdoors at U.Va.

Hobbies: sports (playing and watching), cooking, piano

Ideal date (person): Physically, she should have a cute and expressive face, be shorter than me and be relatively athletic/fit. Personality-wise, I would want her to be smart, funny, fairly relaxed and down to earth.

Ideal date (activity): I don’t know, maybe a light hike and picnic with a view.

Deal breakers?: Boring personality, deformities, vegan.

Typical weekend plans: Right now, my weekends are very relaxed. I usually go out Friday night, go to and/or watch the football game Saturday and then go out Saturday night if I’ve heard about something fun happening and, finally, do some work Sunday. Any free time I spend hanging out with friends or catching up on lost sleep from the week.

What makes you a good catch?: I’m pretty outgoing, I have a good sense of humor, I’m chivalrous and I’m always open to new things. Also, I’m athletic, a decent pianist and a good cook.

If your life were a T.V. show, what would it be?: “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” because nothing productive ever happens and it tends to make me laugh.

Describe yourself in one sentence: Rule #76, no excuses, play like a champion.

Rosie

Hometown: Richmond, Va.

Year: 2015

Major: Politics

Sexual orientation: Straight

University involvement: Outdoors at U.Va., University Democrats, University Judiciary Committee, Madison House

Hobbies: Surfing, biking, illegal music downloading, giggling, learning languages, traveling, running

Ideal date (person): I like most boys.

Ideal date (activity): I’m sleeping in my room, and I hear a tap on the window. There stands my ideal date, bouquet of flowers in hand. He helps me out of my window, and we head over to a body of water where a canoe awaits us. We spend the night gazing at the stars, eating cheese and crackers and sharing our secrets in each other’s arms. He ends the night by gazing into my eyes and whispering, “I love the way you paddle.”

Deal breakers: Smoking, inability to hold doors open for others.

Typical weekend plans: My typical weekend consists of having a good time.

What makes you a good catch?: I am fit, and I’ll make you giggle.

If your life were a T.V. show, what would it be?: “Friends” because I like spending time with funny people.

Rosie: I honestly had no idea what to expect, and I was fine with that � just not knowing. I went into it thinking if something happens, that�s fine; if nothing happens, that�s fine as well. I�d never been on a blind date before.

Glenn: My friend made me apply. After 30 minutes of �come on, just do it,� I finally said okay. I�d kind of forgotten about it for a while.

Rosie: All my hallmates applied because our friend convinced us to. It just so happened I got chosen.

Glenn: When I got [to the Rotunda], there was one security guard there. So we had a nice conversation. He asked me what I was doing there, and I told him I was meeting somebody.

Rosie: He was the first person I came across, standing by the Thomas Jefferson statue. I asked if he was Glenn and he was like, yeah.

Glenn: It was kind of dark, and [hard to get a good first impression of her].

Rosie: We were just walking down the Corner and I had to ask, �Where are we going?� We had no idea. I�d never been to Lemongrass, but I�ve heard a lot of good things about it, so I suggested it. We walked over to Lemongrass, but it was really crowded there, so we decided to go to Mellow Mushroom.

Glenn: The conversation started off pretty easily; it wasn�t that bad. We made it nice and formulaic to start out with. We made a joke out of the whole, where are you from, what�s your major type stuff.

Rosie: [We talked about] everything under the sun. We spent a lot of time talking about skydiving and hookah. Those were two things that really stuck out.

Glenn: What did we talk about? What can I tell you that we talked about? At one point, we talked about the differences between skydiving and bungee jumping and why, for some reason, bungee jumping is more terrifying.

Rosie: We�re both first years. We�re both in the outdoors club, so we have a lot of the same interests, like hiking and backpacking.

Glenn: We�ve both been backpacking and we both like the outdoors a lot.

Rosie: It�s really hard to talk to someone for an hour and a half straight. Toward the end, I think we were just kind of tired of talking. By the end, there were some pauses, but it wasn�t too bad.

Glenn: The end was kind of awkward. We weren�t sure what to do. We went for the hug.

Rosie: He walked me back. I made it super awkward, because I was like, �I�m not really sure how we are supposed to end this.� I mean I actually said that. I guess we�ll go for the hug. So we went for the hug.

Glenn: I think we�re Facebook friends. Yeah, I did do that.

Rosie: We didn�t exchange phone numbers, but he did friend me on Facebook. I think we might hang out in the future, but it will be just as friends.

Glenn: We might hang out, I don�t know. [If we did], it would be more of a friend thing.

Rosie: I would rank the date an 8. It was nice, like two friends chatting, even though I�d never met him. It wasn�t anything romantic. In the end, I�m glad I can say I went on a blind date.

Glenn: It was fine. 6, 7, 8. Somewhere in that range.

A few days after the date Rosie rode her bike past Glenn and managed a brief wave, but the two have no firm plans to see each other in the future. But since their dorms are close, they�re likely to bump into each other again soon.