Real lady clothes

I have my first ever college internship lined up this semester. I don't know how I managed to pull it off with basketball and my class schedule. I have to admit, it took some serious manipulating, so much, in fact, that I didn't let myself believe it would happen until I actually met my boss. Thankfully, the introductions went well, the tour of the facilities went smoothly and the people I would soon work with seemed nice. As I went from room to room, however, I noticed one thing in particular. People were wearing slacks, heels, blazers, pantsuits - things I did not own.

I had dressed up for this first introduction in khakis and a button up blouse. I wanted to look like a professional, and when I sat down with my boss to discuss my new job the issue of dress code inevitably came up. "Business casual," I was told.

All right, I can handle this, I told myself as I left. I'm 20 years old. Business casual is totally doable, if not reasonable. I am becoming a real, professional lady. This was my mantra as I began a desperate mental list of the business casual clothes I owned.

I went home to look frantically through my closet. As I pulled out lacy shirts, flowy knit tops and a seemingly endless number of sweatpants, I realized how unfit for business casual I might actually be. Panic began to creep in. I went to my dressers where I found a few more blouses.

The real problem was pants. As a 6-foot-5 woman, long dress pants are - rather unfairly - hard to come by. So, I turned to Google, keying "business casual ideas" into the search bar, relieved to find slacks and classy blouses.

Shoes would also be a problem, as I own about two pairs of flats which fit me and could be considered professional. That search also began. I Googled, I called people I knew and I texted friends. I was desperate. After leaving three shoe stores with the sound of "So sorry dear, I don't know anyone that carries a 13," ringing in my ears, I began to lose hope. I also began to feel slightly out of place. Perhaps it was the fact that I was the biggest person in the shoe store - not the biggest woman, the biggest person. So I looked to the Internet as my only hope. The Internet is a home for all types.

Searching "size 13 heels," I came across a site meant for men looking for women's shoes. "Are there no women with big feet?" I asked myself. Teammates then pointed me in the direction of outlet stores, which were not only unreasonably far, but unreasonably expensive. Let's be real, I'm an intern, not a CEO.

After extensive Googling, I managed to find a site with long pants. I quickly ordered three pairs and begged my mother for reimbursement, which she refused laughing, but I'm hopeful she will come around. Come on, I may be a real, professional lady, but I can still ask mom for some help once in awhile.

Now I have my fingers crossed that my ordered clothes and shoes arrive soon, or I'll be looking for professional ways to dress up skinny jeans. Wish me luck, people. The real world is scary.

Simone's column runs biweekly Tuesday. She can be reached at s.egwu@cavalierdaily.com.