Voter registration ends for Virginia residents

Charlottesville City Registrar processes 300 voter forms during deadline day

Monday marked the final day Virginia residents could register to vote in the November election. Charlottesville City Registrar Sheri Iachetta said she processed more than 300 registration forms Monday afternoon.

A majority of those registering to vote in Virginia since Sept. 1 are younger than 35, according to data from the State Board of Elections.

The Mitt Romney and Barack Obama campaigns made significant efforts to mobilize citizens younger than 30 this year, making tours of college towns and speaking at universities across the country.

“The Young Americans for Romney” campaign is largest in Virginia, according to a Romney campaign press statement, making this year’s Republican efforts the largest GOP youth outreach in Virginia history. The group connects with thousands of youth weekly through Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms.

The Obama campaign made a similar effort, launching new youth programs, connecting with University campaigns and increasing registration efforts in Virginia.

More than 1,300 new voters registered last month in Albemarle County and 718 new voters registered in Charlottesville. By Oct. 2, 73,472 voters were registered in the 28 precincts in Albemarle County and 31,523 voters were registered in Charlottesville’s nine precincts.

Registration for the next election opens Nov. 7. Absentee ballots for this year’s election will be accepted until Oct. 30.