Stevens announces Charlottesville commissioner of revenue candidacy

Jonathan Stevens formally announced Tuesday he will run for Charlottesville commissioner of revenue in the November election.

Current commissioner of revenue Raymond Richards has been in office since 1994 and will be retiring at the end of his term in 2014. The principle responsibilities of the position include administrating local taxes and assisting businesses and individuals with tax and licensing issues.

Stevens described himself as a modern, efficient progressive. His platform includes modernizing the revenue commissioner’s office to improve efficiency. “I want to reduce the chance for errors and complete compliance which will benefit the city’s bottom line,” Stevens said. “I want to build on the great record of service that the retiring commissioner has had.”

Stevens said he hopes to make the office more transparent and establish rules which apply uniformly to all citizens.

Charlottesville City Councilwoman Kathleen Galvin said she plans to endorse Stevens. Galvin met Stevens when he worked on her campaign for City Council in 2011.

“He’s a dedicated worker, very [smart] and a systems thinker,” Galvin said. “I like that kind of quality especially with someone who will be working in bringing in our tax revenue.”

Aside from Councilwoman Galvin’s campaign, Stevens has accumulated a wide variety of political experience, working on campaigns ranging from school board members to Barack Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign. Stevens is currently the co-chair of the Clark Precinct for the Charlottesville City Democrats.

As of yet, no one else has announced plans to run for the position.