Nothing to brush off

St. Baldrick's annual event raises more than $85,000 to support childhood cancer research

With bald crowns bobbing around Grounds, it’s clear St. Baldrick’s philanthropy intends to leave no head untouched.

Held at the Biltmore on Thursday, the annual fundraising effort brought 146 people together to shave their heads in support of childhood cancer research. With the help of the national St. Baldrick’s Foundation, members of the U.Va. St. Baldrick’s CIO made good on their pledges to shave their heads in exchange for donations from family, friends and community members.

The organization raised $85,872, excluding donations still being counted from the night of the event, surpassing the group’s initial $80,000 fundraising goal. All of the money collected is donated to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, the largest childhood cancer research grant funder outside of the U.S. government.

“I was overwhelmed at the beginning of the event,” said fourth-year College student Sydney Delmar, co-president of the University’s chapter. “I actually started to cry a little watching the first shaving group go.”

To many, St. Baldrick’s appeal is its bold combination of emotional pull and dedicated fundraising for an issue that often carries personal significance for participants. Second-year Education student Jessie Mason, whose family’s history with cancer prompted her to participate, met her fundraising goal of $1,000 more than a month before the event.

“It’s a way to do something crazy, and I get to help other people while doing it,” Mason said. “It’s a good combination.”

At the event, Mason was part of the first group of people to have their heads shaved.

“I think it was definitely a good decision,” Mason said, as she ran her hand over her newly bald head.

Throughout the year, the University’s St. Baldrick’s group hosts bake sales and bar nights to raise funds and awareness around Grounds. The national foundation provides significant support for the local group — designating an event coach to provide tips on running the event and providing supplies such as t-shirts, promotional material and barber capes. But, the group is still principally responsible for organizing the event, including finding the location and recruiting barbers and volunteers.

Though this year Delmar focused on running the event — with the help of her co-president, fourth-year College student Arturo Esteve — she has been a participant in the event in the past, shaving her head during her second year.

“I shaved my head because I’ve had a lot of family friends [with] children with cancer,” Delmar said. “It’s a really personal connection to the cause, [which has been] extremely worthwhile.”

With their main event complete, the organization will next participate in a “Hoos Heal 5K,” a race at the University Hospital to support pediatric oncology.