Runners raise funds for cancer

Charlottesville Four-Miler fundraises for University Cancer Center Breast Care Program

Every Labor Day weekend since 1983, 3500 women of all shapes and sizes line up at 8 a.m. in Charlottesville to walk and run for a cause. The Charlottesville Women’s Four-Miler is an all-women’s event that has been raising money for the University Cancer Center Breast Care Program for 21 years.

The course begins at the entrance to Foxfield on Garth road, heads one mile east, turns around and head two miles west, and then makes another turn to end up back at the Foxfield entrance.

Although men do not participate in the race, the road is always lined with both male and female supporters of all ages, and men are encouraged to volunteer in other parts of the race.

Cynthia Lorenzoni, director of the race since 2000, said this year’s race ran very smoothly.

“It’s always a lot of work but we’ve had a lot of fun,” Lorenzoni said. “We feel like we’re a little of ahead of last year, which was a record breaking year. We raised $340,000 last year.”

After the race, the new director of the University Cancer Center, Thomas Loughran was recognized and brought onto the platform.

“You’re raising a significant amount of money for a great cause,” Loughran said. “I promise you personally that your money will be spent wisely for both clinical research, as well as care of women with breast cancer.”

The money goes to funding new programs such as increased access to early detection screenings for rural communities, providing community support for underserved and uninsured patients, and paying for new technology such as tomosynthesis, a 3-D imaging method.

Dr. Shayna Showalter said the money also goes to a section of the hospital doing research. “Every year there is a very competitive application process to use the money for research within U.Va. — people write very impressive grants,” she said. “This year the money is going to help new technologies both in medical oncology and the surgical treatment of breast cancer.”