KELLY: Student governance lives

The Student Council’s initiatives to fight student apathy are commendable

Our generation has a way of emphasizing a sense of devotion to civic engagement and political participation; if we were to look to self-governance at the University, however, the picture that emerges is somewhat inconsistent. In recent years, discussion of self-governance on Grounds has centered on claims of voter apathy and a general lack of student involvement or awareness. At a time when the growth of the student body has made the work of Student Council increasingly difficult, it is perhaps not surprising that some students have grown detached from the ideals of student self-governance. Going forward, these ideals will be critical to maintaining a strong connection across what is becoming an increasingly diverse and growing student body, one that seems to be losing a sense for its proper role in student self-governance. Student Council itself cannot be blamed for lack of effort. Its most recent initiative, “StudCo Comes to You,” a program that aims to move Council’s meetings around Grounds, seems to be a promising step forward.

As the new initiative suggests, the problems that have plagued student governance in recent years have been predominantly cultural in nature. If the core issue is student apathy, as has been suggested over the years, then any Council initiative aimed at increasing participation in and awareness of student governance must attempt to attack its roots. Broadly speaking, students at American institutions of higher education participate in student government at disturbingly low levels. Even at the nation’s top universities, oft cited as bastions of student engagement and innovation, most institutions barely scrape fifty percent turnout during student elections. Regrettably, the level of participation of University students consistently fails to reach that level; according to the University Board of Elections, voter turnout rarely exceeds 40 percent.

The prevalence of voter indifference may stem from the perception, however misguided or ill-informed, that student government plays a marginal part in the process of decision-making. For a generation that prides itself on social activism, the level of political apathy within the University seems out of place. To a degree, it is necessary to see the persistence of apathy in the context of growing disenchantment with the political process in society at large. When national politics are dominated by ideological entrenchment and administrative gridlock, it is perhaps unsurprising that disillusionment continues to saturate the minds of many students.

More importantly, as the cost of college continues to rise and as classes grow ever larger, it seems that a growing number of students perceives college as a mere channel through which one must pass on the way to the “real” world. This pattern of thought, one that characterizes students as consumers, has critical implications for student involvement in governance. The idea of a united community understands students as active participants. When students see themselves as members of an academic community, in which they share responsibility for the quality of the education that they receive and for the institution that provides it, involvement in student governance will increase. The growing notion of students as clients of the institution fundamentally contradicts the idea of a responsible academic community of students.

In order to address what is fundamentally a cultural issue, Council must focus on how it disseminates information. By focusing on providing clear and targeted information in a community where most individuals receive far more information than they can possibly hope to absorb, Council may begin to increase student awareness and involvement. Discussion about student governance must focus on ways to motivate both students and staff to take a dynamic interest in the life and governance of their institution and the society of which it is a part. Effective student governance is essential to the role of higher education in developing and maintaining a vibrant democratic culture and fostering a healthy community of scholars and students. If it is reasonable to accept the idea that higher education should have a prominent role in developing a democratic culture, without which both the nation’s institutions and society itself cannot function properly, then it is crucial to realize that these attitudes cannot be generated through observation alone; active participation is essential. Students must be encouraged to participate and they must feel that their participation has an impact.

In this regard, Council’s new initiative is an encouraging step in the right direction. Student Council Vice President for Administration Sky Miller said in an email: “increasing voter participation requires a re-culturing of the University that can only happen with steps like [this initiative].” In seeking to raise general awareness of the organization’s activities, it is clear that Council is making an earnest attempt to solve the issues at hand. The general student body has a responsibility to respond. Concerns over the authority of student government can only be overcome by greater student involvement. Greater student participation will empower and strengthen the influence of Council.

Conor Kelly is an Opinion Columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at c.kelly@cavalierdaily.com.