Track and field competes at Alex Wilson Invitational

Cavaliers gain opportunity to qualify for NCCA Indoor Championships

Eight track and field athletes represented Virginia in three separate events at the Alex Wilson Invitational on Saturday in South Bend, Indiana. This meet — hosted by Notre Dame — offered the Cavaliers a final tune-up before next weekend’s ACC Indoor Championships. And perhaps more importantly, these Virginia athletes gained another opportunity to qualify for the NCCA Indoor Championships.

The men’s distance medley relay team — senior Peyton Hazzard, junior Kyle King and sophomores Mike Marsella and Nathan Kiley — finished fifth among a talented field. The team’s time of 9:32.36 placed within the top 10 nationally, which is essentially a requisite for NCAA qualification.

The women’s 4x400 meter relay team of graduate student Vanessa Fabrizio, senior Jordan Lavender and sophomores Chimere Ezumah and Andrea Wright was also in action Saturday. Even with a fifth-place finish and the fourth-best time in school history — 3:41.04 — this group’s NCAA prospects are up in the air. Right now, their focus is on ACCs.

Lavender took second place in the women’s 400 meter with a season-best time of 53.21 seconds, .22 seconds off her program record. The 2014 ACC Indoor Champion in the 400-meter dash will defend her title this weekend in Blacksburg, Virginia.

—compiled by Grant Gossage