Shifting focus to underclassmen

University Career Services hosts second year week

<p>Last Friday concluded the University Career Services' first Second Year Week, which aimed to provide career advising and professional opportunities to second-year students. </p>

Last Friday concluded the University Career Services' first Second Year Week, which aimed to provide career advising and professional opportunities to second-year students. 

University Career Services concluded its first Second Year Week — a new initiative to provide second-year students with professional opportunities — this past Friday.

Everette Fortner, associate vice president of career and professional development, worked with UCS to spearhead the program.

“We wanted to do something big, but we had so many things that we wanted to cover, so we decided [to] create [a] second year advising week,” Fortner said. “It’s a whole week, so it [gets] more attention, more publicity, more share of mind, more people involved.”

The program brought a variety of advising activities to students, such as panel discussions, meetings with alumni, guest speakers and workshops, to lead up to the Spring Job and Internship Fair.

“[The career fair] was something for us to build around because we know a lot of students go to that, but not as many second years [go] and we feel like they should,” Fortner said.

The week kicked off with an opening ceremony on Monday. Panels and workshops started Tuesday, and an employer reception was held Tuesday night with College Dean Ian Baucom.

“[On Tuesday] we had an opportunity to engage with employers around a reception, which we thought would be an icebreaker so students could feel comfortable going to the career fair the next day,” Fortner said.

In addition to the career fair, Wednesday and Thursday featured a number of panels and an address from University President Teresa Sullivan.

“[We] had probably 500 unique second years participate in the first four days,” Fortner said. “A lot of people went to multiple [events] and a lot of people just went to one — that’s kind of the goal. I think it [was] a huge success for the first time.”

The week’s activities concluded Friday with advising hours held for second-years.

“The first four days you just generate a ton of questions,” Fortner said. “So [we had] second year advising hours with our career advisors, academic advisors, study abroad [advisors], any kind of advisors, so you [could] be in one place [at] one time and get all your questions answered.”

Carrie Weimar, director for career counseling and advising, also played a role in organizing the event. Weimar said access to career resources is crucial for underclassmen.

“We really like to pay attention to first and second-years, because the earlier you become connected with our office and connected with resources, the less anxiety you have about what you might major in, what career options you have, your resume being built and where to look for internships,” Weimar said. “We just want to get you in earlier so you can be more successful by your fourth year.”

Weimar said she hoped the week would help second-years get on track after a difficult semester.

“This class has taken a number of hits with last semester,” Weimar said. “I think [this week] has been a way that we have positively brought the class back together to talk about moving forward.”

UCS has said it is considering moving Second Year Week to the fall next year, and will increase its focus on majors and reach out to more alumni.

“Access to alumni is the key to engaging students,” Fortner said. “To us, making these connections with alumni is the top thing we can do for you.”