McAuliffe announces ABC expert review panel members

Student Council President Abe Axler to serve

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe announced his appointments to the newly-created Expert Review Panel, established on March 25 under Executive Order 40 for the purpose of improving ABC law enforcement.

The panel is chaired by Brian Moran, Secretary of Public Safety and Homeland Security, and consists of 20 members total. Among them are Ryant Washington, Special Policy Advisor on Law Enforcement for the ABC, Steven Flaherty, Superintendent of the Virginia State Police and University Student Council President Abraham Axler.

Axler, a second-year in the College, said that based on two incidents involving both ABC law enforcement and University students, students have a unique perspective for the panel.

“I asked for there to be StudCo and BSA representation on the expert review panel,” Axler said. “Based on two incidents with Martese Johnson and Elizabeth Daly — both U.Va. students — we have a perspective that would be helpful.”

Axler said he had been discussing student representation within a review panel with Moran immediately after the executive order was released.

“About a week after that, the governor came to Charlottesville and talked to BSA and me,” Axler said. “My understanding of it is that the purpose of this panel is to make a recommendation to the legislature about the degree to which ABC should have law enforcement powers.”

The first meeting of the panel will be held May 4 in the Virginia State Capitol.