Five reasons to get pumped for basketball season

At U.Va., we consider men’s basketball as its own holiday season. After the long period of mourning often associated with the football months of defeat, students transition to John Paul Jones Arena and see coach Tony Bennett and his Top 10 team — currently ranked 5th/6th in the preseason national polls — hit the court. Although the list is almost limitless, here are five key reasons why any ‘Hoo in ‘Hooville ought to get excited about the return of basketball season:

5. The Debut of Several New Players to the Court: After being redshirted last season, sophomore guard Darius Thompson and freshman center Jack Salt will finally be eligible to play starting Friday against Morgan State.

Coach Bennett said Thompson “can deflect passes, is good off the ball, really can get in the lane, and has vision.”

As for Salt, Bennett had few words to associate with him: “Jack headhunts,” Bennett said at Media Day. “I mean he really looks … he will go in there and get people open with a good, strong lethal strength.”

To round out this group of newly eligible players is true freshman forward Jarred Reuter and walk-on freshman guard Justice Bartley. Reuter was a three/four star prospect, and Bartley comes from Montrose Christian School, the alma mater of former U.Va. star Justin Anderson. Get pumped to see what all of these players bring to the court.

4. The Return of Five Scholarship Upperclassmen (and everyone’s favorite Lawnie): Despite the large amount of new talent factoring into this season’s squad, Bennett is still returning a significant amount of upperclassmen standouts, including All-American senior guard Malcolm Brogdon, ACC All-Defensive team member and senior forward Anthony Gill, star junior point guard London Perrantes, as well as senior center Mike Tobey and senior forward Evan Nolte — as well as star student and walk-on senior forward Caid Kirven.

Experience will be key for this Virginia team, as Tony has one final hurrah with the majority of his ACC Championship team before he transitions into the large amount of new talent coming in 2016.

3. The Chance to Regain the Title of Student Section of the Year: In the 2013-14 season, ‘Hoo Crew was named the Naismith National Student Section of the Year. With the ridiculous signs — they do love our players’ cardboard cut-outs and anything that refers to Tony’s D(efense) — fun chants, and more streamers and cheering than a sorority on bid day, even if the title cannot be regained, you will have a heck of a good time screaming “Let’s Go Wahoos (bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum)” and booing the other team when they shoot three pointers.

2. The Return of Phony Bennett’s Live-Tweeting of Games: While Coach Bennett paces the side of the court and looks stern in a probably blue-grey suit and orange and blue tie, be sure to check Twitter (if you can get wi-fi in JPJ) and see what Phony is saying. Whether it is sassy comments about the other team, acknowledging of an amazing sign, or particularly fine game commentary, Phony is there to laugh with you, to cry with you and to make sarcastic comments with you.

1. The Chance to Cheer Well Into March: I am not a psychic, but most teams ranked in the Top 10 go pretty far into the post-season, and Bennett and his crew have not disappointed in my years at U.Va. Get pumped to make the trip up to D.C. to root in the ACC Tournament — or watch from your Spring Break destination — or to fill the seats in your favorite Corner establishment to watch March Madness with all your fellow Cavaliers (Sparknotes for first-years: Cavaliers, good. Duke and Michigan State, bad). Whereas other sports often leave us hopeless heading into the postseason, this one is in the bag. PSA: if it doesn’t end well, watch out for broken glass and burning couches.

Stay hopeful friends, and get ready for a wild ride. See you Friday.