​Virginia sends six to New York for National Indoors

Kwiatkowski, Collins headline men’s, women’s singles draws

<p>Senior Danielle Collins holds the top seed in the invitational's women's singles draw. She has already won two national titles this fall, at the Oracle/ITA Masters Tournament and the Riviera ITA All-American Championships.&nbsp;</p>

Senior Danielle Collins holds the top seed in the invitational's women's singles draw. She has already won two national titles this fall, at the Oracle/ITA Masters Tournament and the Riviera ITA All-American Championships. 

A pair of players from the Virginia men’s tennis team and four from the women’s side head to Flushing Meadows, New York, for the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship beginning Thursday. The Cavaliers boast the top seed in both the men’s and women’s singles draws, as well as the top-seeded tandem in the men’s doubles draw. The USTA/ITA National Indoors will wrap up the fall season for both teams.

For the men, junior Thai-Son Kwiatkowski will be featured as both the top seed in the singles draw and the lone representative for the No. 1 Cavaliers. Kwiatkowski will be joined on the doubles side by senior Mac Styslinger as the top seed in the men’s doubles draw.

Kwiatkowski will face off against Florida State senior Benjamin Lock to start off singles play Thursday at 11 a.m. Kwiatkowski will be granted a brief reprieve between his singles and doubles matches, as he and Styslinger have a first-round bye early Thursday afternoon before taking on the winner of teams from UAB and Texas Tech at 5:30 p.m..

For the women, senior Danielle Collins holds the top seed in the singles draw, while senior Julia Elbaba is the sixth seed. Collins will take on Oklahoma State junior Katarina Adamovic in the first round Thursday at 9 a.m. while Elbaba will be pitted against USC senior Giuliana Olmos at 10:30 a.m.

On the doubles side, Virginia will field two unranked teams, with Collins being joined by freshman Meghan Kelley and Elbaba playing alongside senior Skylar Morton. Collins/Kelley take on a team from Cal at 3:30 p.m. Thursday and Elbaba/Morton face Florida at 3 p.m.

Both the men’s and the women’s tournaments will be broadcast on ESPN satellite channels and will run from Nov. 12-15.