Barnes and Noble book drive benefits local Ronald McDonald House

Last year's effort raised over $10,000 worth of donations

<p>Last year’s Barnes and Noble book drive raised approximately $10,000 worth of donations for the non-profit.</p>

Last year’s Barnes and Noble book drive raised approximately $10,000 worth of donations for the non-profit.

The Barnes and Noble Holiday Book Drive — a nationwide event which allows buyers to donate store’s books and toys to local non-profits — is currently accepting donations to Ronald McDonald House in Charlottesville for the second year.

The books will help the Ronald McDonald House install a home library for the families that stay with the nonprofit.

Sandra Cararo, community business development manager for Barnes and Noble, said the store chose Ronald McDonald House based on their wish to have a library.

“It's going to be a wonderful way for the families that stay with them to have something to pass the time,” Cararo said.

Barnes and Noble is accepting donations of books, gift cards, DVDs, CDs and children’s learning toys for all ages, Cararo said.

The library will be for all visitors of the house to enjoy, said Rita Ralston, executive director of the Charlottesville Ronald McDonald House.

“The wonderful thing is that the library will be for the youngest infant that's just holding a board book to the grandma and grandpa that might be here with their family,” she said.

The Ronald McDonald House library will be of important use to the families it houses.

“Many of the families there have special dietary needs so it's very helpful [if] they can go to a cookbook that can cover their dietary needs and be able to cook something for their families while they're [staying] there,” Cararo said.

The library will be a great addition for the 800 to 1,000 families who stay with them each year, Ralston said. Last year’s Barnes and Noble book drive raised approximately $10,000 worth of donations for the non-profit.

“I think they just wanted to help us complete this. They agreed that the ability to have a library will make a difference in a lot of lives, we serve a lot of families each year,” Ralston said. “[We are] trying to provide that type of relaxation you get when you read a good book.”

The benefits of the book drive and building the library are two fold, Cararo said.

“It's an opportunity for the families to have something to do to pass the time but it also fulfills a community need,” Cararo said.