Frontcourt leads Virginia to conference opening win against Notre Dame

<p>Anthony Gill was second on the team with&nbsp;21 points while Mike&nbsp;Tobey added 15 off the bench to lead Virginia to a conference opening victory Saturday against Notre Dame.</p>

Anthony Gill was second on the team with 21 points while Mike Tobey added 15 off the bench to lead Virginia to a conference opening victory Saturday against Notre Dame.

Against Oakland, senior center Mike Tobey, whose minutes had dwindled of late, exploded for 16 points and seven rebounds, finally giving senior forward Anthony Gill a fellow scorer in the paint. It seems that game might have been a turning point for Tobey’s season.

Tobey added 15 points and six boards in 15 minutes Saturday while Gill contributed 21 points as the frontcourt duo led the No. 5 Cavaliers to a 77-66 victory against Notre Dame. The win gave coach Tony Bennett a 7-0 mark in conference openers at the helm of Virginia (12-1, 1-0 ACC).

Senior guard Malcolm Brogdon led all scorers with 24 points. The preseason ACC co-player of the year netted 20 of his points in the second half, including Virginia’s first eight.

After a back-and-forth first couple of minutes, the Cavaliers used a 21-4 first half run to take an eventual 36-24 lead at the break. Virginia stretched its lead over Notre Dame (9-4, 0-1 ACC) to as large as 19 while facing the Irish’s zone defense in the second half.

Virginia shot 57.1 percent from the floor – the highest mark of a Notre Dame opponent this season. The Cavaliers had a 38-22 advantage in points in the paint.

Guard Devon Hall and forward Isaiah Wilkins, both sophomores, each set a career high with four assists. Wilkins started his fourth consecutive game.

Gill has now scored in double figures in all 13 of Virginia’s games this season.

Virginia will next face in-state rival Virginia Tech Monday in Cassell Coliseum. Tipoff is scheduled for Monday at 9 p.m.