Virginia outworked by Georgia Tech, 68-64

No. 4 Virginia could not overcome a season-high 12-point halftime deficit and lost to Georgia Tech 68-64 Saturday afternoon at the Hank McCamish Pavilion in Atlanta, Ga. The loss was the second in as many games for the Cavaliers (12-3, 1-2 ACC) and also marks the first back-to-back defeats since December of 2013.

The Yellow Jackets (11-5, 1-2 ACC) outmuscled and outworked Virginia. Georgia Tech amassed a 41-29 rebounding advantage. Coach Brian Gregory’s team was particularly active on the offensive glass, grabbing 34.4 percent of their offensive rebound chances.

Senior guard Malcolm Brogdon led all scorers with 19 points, but required 20 shot attempts to do so. The Greater Atlanta Christian alum converted only one of his nine tries from beyond the arc.

As a team the Cavaliers shot only 40.4 percent from the field, including an abysmal 4-of-18 performance from three-point range.

A trio of Yellow Jackets, graduate transfer guard Adam Smith; junior forward Quinton Stephens; and senior forward Nick Jacobs, scored 16 apiece. Stephens went six-for-eight and made all four of his threes. Smith, formerly of Virginia Tech, also made three three-pointers.

Driven by the inability to secure rebounds, the Cavaliers finished the game with a defensive efficiency of 113.

Virginia tries to right the ship against No. 12 Miami at home on Jan. 12.