“Girls” shows good, bad and ugly sides of love

Thoughtful new episode “Old Loves” sees characters making up and breaking up

<p>Lena Dunham's "Girls" continues showing strong throughout fifth season.</p>

Lena Dunham's "Girls" continues showing strong throughout fifth season.

The fifth season of “Girls” continues with another engaging, well-written episode in this week’s “Old Loves.” Episode four returns to Brooklyn to focus on the leading women’s relationships as some fall apart and others fall together.

The episode opens with an argument between Hannah (Lena Dunham) and Fran (Jake Lacy) over their different teaching styles when Fran begins making amendments to Hannah’s grading process. Their relationship, which once seemed bulletproof, begins to crack — “Old Loves” completely dismantles the idea of Fran as the nice guy. Hannah reverts backs to her selfish and dramatic ways. Perhaps this season’s earlier episodes were not an indication of Hannah’s development into a more considerate, adjusted woman after all.

Jessa (Jemima Kirke) and Adam (Adam Driver) continue to struggle through their forbidden feelings for each other. Jessa begins attending women’s-only AA meetings to avoid him, but this episode delivers on what was a long time coming — Jessa and Adam take their relationship to a physical level with less-than-stellar results.

Elijah (Andrew Rannells) makes a welcomed appearance in the episode along with his new beau, Dill (Corey Stoll), the “quite famous” reporter. Elijah and Dill’s blossoming relationship is a glimmer of hope in an episode that offered rather bleak representations of love, or at the very least, lust. The highlight of the episode was the beautifully-shot montage of the two greeting fans in the middle of Times Square. Elijah’s happiness is palpable and contagious and it seems he may just be getting what he deserves — a real relationship.

Marnie (Allison Williams) and Desi (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) return to New York as well after their honeymoon. After an argument about changes to her apartment, Marnie essentially apologizes to Desi, instead of standing up for herself. This reaction is in line with Marnie’s character, but it feels backwards. The dysfunction between the two is evident, and this episode seems to confirm that such back and forth between the two is not sustainable.

Maybe the most rewarding element of “Old Loves” was the interaction between Marnie, Hannah and Jessa. The previous few episodes have featured little to no interaction between the women, confining them to their own spaces and plotlines. Though their bond is clearly not what it used to be, seeing the three together is a pleasant reminder of the series’ foundational friendships.