Eight can’t-miss Charlottesville concerts

Spring season sees fresh, exciting artists performing in local venues

Spring has sprung, and along with the warmer weather comes a wonderful selection of local Charlottesville music. This list highlights eight of the most compelling acts coming through town in the next few weeks.

Matisyahu, March 26 at The Paramount

Hosted by the University’s Brody Jewish Center, Matisyahu will perform for free at the Paramount Theater this week. The reggae singer is a unique presence in modern music as a Hasidic Jew who echoes the sound and spirituality of Bob Marley.

Low Cut Connie and The Yawpers, April 1 at The Southern

The members of Low Cut Connie play classic, bluesy rock and roll. They hammer away on the piano, and their guitar growls over an upbeat rhythm section. This concert should show the band performing energetically, nearly — but not quite — losing control at every turn. The Yawpers supply a folky yet buoyant counterpoint.

Moon Taxi, April 3 and 4 at The Jefferson

Moon Taxi provides alternative rock with a creative twist. Each song features a different wrinkle, either with the popping synths in the opening of “Morocco” or the staticky piano tinkle fluttering through “All Day All Night.” Their two-night stay at the Jefferson Theater should not be missed.

The Motet, April 14 at The Jefferson

Pure funk bubbles through every song The Motet plays. In songs like “123” they sound straight out of the ’70s, but at the same time, in other songs, they are fully capable of putting a more modern twist on the twanging guitar and horn-heavy sound of the era — "Rynodub," for example, soars on the strength of its synths.

Chairlift, April 14 at The Southern

Chairlift plays airy, modern, electronic pop that is either upbeat or mellow. Their lyrics, however, are almost always contemplative and sensitive. They lack the party-starting energy of Flume or Odesza, but provide a similar style in a more controlled package. Singer Caroline Polachek has impressive vocal range, and the band thrives when she is given room to show it.

Widespread Panic, April 28 at nTelos Wireless Pavilion

Widespread Panic are first and foremost a jam band, ready and willing to spiral off into extended improvisational sessions. However, their sound is more bluesy and more substantial than contemporary improvisational acts like Phish. They are more capable of ripping off a raunchy, virtuosic guitar solo than any other group on this list.

Lake Street Dive, June 11 at nTelos Wireless Pavilion

Country, bluegrass, rock and jazz will all come together at this show. The band’s music has energy and variety, combining powerful guitar hooks with tumbling horn lines and the clear and soulful vocals of Rachael Price.

Fridays After Five, Fridays this Spring at nTelos Wireless Pavilion

Every week, starting April 15, the nTelos Wireless Pavilion hosts a free, early evening concert. The bands performing are almost always up-and-coming local acts, and the atmosphere is quintessentially Charlottesville, blending small-town togetherness with sophisticated artistic sensibility. What’s better than free live music?