Virginia Festival of the Book comes to Charlottesville

Weekend’s events to focus on role of written word in activism, human experience

<p>The Virginia Festival of the Book presents a weekend's worth of meaningful events.</p>

The Virginia Festival of the Book presents a weekend's worth of meaningful events.

This year’s Virginia Festival of the Book kicked off Wednesday and will continue through Sunday. The upcoming weekend’s events will include lectures and discussions on a diverse range of topics, including cooking, the nature of American politics, racial identity in America and comedy. Like its name implies, the festival, now in its 22nd year, emphasizes the power of the written word and the importance of literacy in the formation of identity. Arts & Entertainment has compiled a list of the weekend’s most interesting, exciting and thought-provoking discussions.

Battlefield America: War on the American People

Local author and attorney John W. Whitehead spends much of his time in courts preserving citizens’ civil liberties, but Thursday he will embrace his role as an author and speak about his most recent book entitled “Battlefield America: The War on the American People.” This commentary on the nature of politics in America looks to be very relevant in light of the turmoil surrounding the 2016 presidential election. Attendees may also enjoy an event Saturday featuring Marjorie Cohn focused on her work, “Drones and Targeted Killing: Legal, Moral, and Geopolitical Issues.”

Literacy in America: Crisis and Hope

Rare Book School Director and University English Professor Michael Suarez will appear at Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library Thursday to discuss the origins and consequences of an illiterate citizenry while highlighting potential solutions to the problem. The lecture should provide an insightful look into the work of a wholly engaged University faculty member.

“A Carlin Home Companion: Growing Up with George”

Kelly Carlin, media figure and daughter of legendary comedian George Carlin, will make an exciting appearance at Charlottesville’s City Council Chambers Saturday to speak on her memoir, “A Carlin Home Companion: Growing Up with George.” Her wealth of experience in the entertainment industry as an actress, internet radio host and interviewer should shape this event into a comedic experience, both nostalgic and contemporary. Interested audience members may also enjoy a speech by Reverend and former comedian Nadia Bolz-Weber on her latest work, “Accidental Saints,” in Newcomb Theater Saturday.

Marching for Freedom: Communists to Celebrities and Civil Rights

Also Saturday, researchers and authors Sara Haviland and Emilie Raymond speak together on the influence of individuals in the Civil Rights and Black Power Movements, respectively. Their works follow the efforts of African American activists, celebrities and professionals, outlining their struggles and the ways in which they overcame prejudice. Fans of the talk may also appreciate a locally-focused event featuring authors Jim Auchmutey and Kristen Green talking about segregation in Virginia. This event, called Divided Towns, Communities, Families: Civil RIghts in Schools, will also be held Saturday.

Monticello in Mind: 50 Contemporary Poems on Jefferson

Monticello will host an impressive array of poets such as Rita Dove and Stephen Cushman this Sunday as they read original works on the subject of Thomas Jefferson. The event, a solid weekend getaway for students, promises diverse perspectives and insights on the University’s beloved founder.

This year’s Festival is shaping up to be extremely meaningful, continuing to demonstrate how essential literature is in everyday life. For a full list of scheduled speakers and events, see the Festival’s website.