Average salary not affected by new hires

Highest paid faculty at Law, Darden, Medical schools

In 2015, the highest paid faculty members were employed at the Law School, Darden School of Business, and School of Medicine. Former University president and English Prof. John T. Casteen III received a salary of $430,000 — the highest in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Dean of the Batten School Allan Stam said one to two staff members and three to five faculty members are hired each year, though this number does not affect average salary.

“We are committed to real salary equity as compared to our peer external markets,” Stam said. “We work hard to not fall behind in compensation.”

Stam said raises are often given out annually in most cases, as well as in retention cases as they occur.

Dean of the Engineering School Craig Benson also said the number of hires is not a factor affecting compensation in his department.

“Compensation is driven by market conditions,” Benson said. “The academic hiring market is extremely competitive.”

Benson said the Engineering school would hire about 12 professors this year, though the exact number depends on need and budget availability.

“Assistant professors are the most common [hires], but the distribution of rank in a given year depends on needs and opportunities,” Benson said.

Assistant professors are also the most common hires in the Batten school. Stam said annual salaries are subject to the University, state policies and appropriations.

Benson also said salaries only go up over time for faculty who are brought into the University. Though raises are generally given out annually, the frequency of raises depends on external demands, budget availability and economic conditions.

“In some cases, mid-year adjustments are made to address special factors, such as external pressures,” Benson said. “When economic times are more challenging, raises may not be given.”