Rowing wins seventh consecutive ACC Championship

<p>The No. 5 Virginia rowing team won its seventh consecutive ACC title Saturday.</p>

The No. 5 Virginia rowing team won its seventh consecutive ACC title Saturday.

There is only one word that can properly describe the No. 5 Virginia rowing team — dynastic. With the ACC championship regatta being established in 2000, the team had won 15 of 16 championships heading into this season. After wrapping up action in Clemson, S.C. Saturday, the Cavaliers made it 16 out of 17 ACC Championships by winning their seventh consecutive title.

Throughout the regular season, Virginia primed itself well for postseason success. Whether it be staple victories against Yale or Texas — which were ranked sixth and eighth respectively — the Cavaliers rowed determinedly to achieve their desired results.

On the waters of Lake Hartwell Saturday, the team’s winning attitude persisted. Starting the regatta with a win from the Varsity Eight — which won ACC Crew of the Year honors for the fifth straight year — Virginia plowed full steam ahead by winning all five of its races. In total, Virginia earned the title with 99 points, followed by Duke and Syracuse with 75 points each.

While the team has nine seniors, the future is bright for the Cavaliers. Freshman Heidi Long — a member of the Varsity Eight boat — won ACC Freshman of the Year. With her and many other retaining team members, the Cavaliers are in position to capture another ACC title next season.

With this ACC title, Virginia teams have now won four conference championships throughout the 2015-2016 school year. The other teams that have won are women’s swimming and diving, women’s golf and women’s cross country.

Next up, the Virginia rowing team will compete in the NCAA Championships in Gold River, Calif. May 27-29.