Volleyball takes on LSU Tiger Classic

<p>Virginia will face three teams this weekend in the LSU Tiger Classic.</p>

Virginia will face three teams this weekend in the LSU Tiger Classic.

What: LSU Tiger Classic

Where: Baton Rouge, La.

When: Friday, 1 p.m., 8:30 p.m.; Saturday, 12 p.m.

The Skinny: The Virginia volleyball team is set for its second weekend of tournament play as they travel to Baton Rouge, La. for the LSU Tiger Classic. The Cavaliers (2-1) will face Louisiana State, Southern Mississippi and Connecticut as they look to build on their strong start to the 2016 season.

Virginia, LSU and Southern Mississippi all come into the tournament with 2-1 records after their first weekends of play, while UConn enters with a pristine 2-0 record. The Cavaliers won their first two matches of the season on their home court during the Cavalier Classic tournament last Friday before dropping the title game against Northwestern the next day. This weekend looks to be another valuable experience for the six freshmen on Virginia’s roster, who all took the court for the first time as college athletes in the Cavalier Classic.

One of the Cavaliers’ biggest challenges this weekend will be to stave off the Southern Miss Golden Eagles, who are coming off of a 24-11 season and look to be picking up where they left off after a solid first weekend. The UConn Huskies also seem to be on the rise, as they look to improve on their first winning season under coach Kris Grunwald.

Virginia starts off Friday at 1 p.m. against Southern Mississippi, after which they will face LSU at 8:30 p.m. and UConn Saturday at 12 p.m.