“Better Man” and a better band

Little Big Town single shines

Candid, mournful and uplifting, Little Big Town’s latest single “Better Man” tells the somber tale of a woman mulling over her post-breakup emotions in a melody that strikes the perfect balance between country and alternative. After rising to country fame with its twangy, old-country sound in hits like “Girl Crush” and “Pontoon,” Little Big Town makes an experimental change with its latest track that will likely come as a surprise for listeners.

The song opens with a soft guitar and piano instrumental that slowly builds into the poignant lyrics of the first verse. “I know I’m probably better off on my own / Than lovin' a man who didn’t know / What he had when he had it,” the singer croons. While the lyrics initially come off as reminiscent of the stereotypical breakup song, when coupled with the singer’s sincere tone, they will tug at the heartstrings of anyone who has fought for a loved one only to be let down, left and unappreciated. The most genuine and striking part of the verse comes towards the chorus, as the singer reluctantly acknowledges her inability to “forget when it was magic” — a realistic and touching sentiment that most bitter love songs tend to ignore.

However, the song reaches its emotional peak at the chorus as the singer confronts the haunting feeling of wondering how things might have ended up differently had her lover been a “Better Man.” She sings, “And I know why we had to say goodbye / Like the back of my hand / And I just miss you, and I just wish you were a better man” — a line that will resonate with listeners as it reminds them of the nagging pain of longing for something that is no longer good for them.

While faithful country listeners might find the lack of standard country elements disappointing, the shift away from a strictly defined genre in this song is an accomplishment for the band that will grab listeners’ attention, especially with the song’s steady beat and harmonious mix of instruments.

Overall, “Better Man” earns the spot as one of Little Big Town’s best songs as it showcases the band’s budding versatility and sincerity.