LOPEZ: Virginia should end ballot confusion

Plain wording on constitutional amendments is crucial to maintain an informed citizenry

In last week’s election, the Virginia ballot included two ballot measures, both of which were legislatively referred constitutional amendments. These proposed amendments were of vital importance since they directly related to the lives of many Virginian workers and families. However, many voters I talked to after Election Day found the ballot measures incredibly confusing and complex in their structure and language — unnecessary conditions, especially for measures with important potential ramifications for Virginians. Future ballot measures should avoid this and be framed in the most simple and straightforward way possible.

In the United States, 43 percent of adults read at basic or below basic levels. These potential voters shouldn’t be expected to get through a complex description of a ballot measure without getting discouraged or frustrated. It is the state’s responsibility to make sure the people who will likely be affected by the ballot measures are able to comprehend them. Framing a ballot measure as simply as possible would prevent discouragement and neglect among voters with lower levels of education.

Another problem arises when it comes to information. Not only do voters frequently encounter confusing ballot measures, but they are also likely to be uninformed about the issues the measures address. In many parts of the United States, voters are caught by surprise when they reach the voting booths and see the measures on the ballot. In fact, as of 2012, around 4 percent of jurisdictions sent information directly to voters about what exactly their ballots will include. If states truly wanted voters to make a rational and honest decision on a ballot measure (especially if they are constitutional amendments), this shouldn’t be the norm.

Voting is a civic duty, but it’s also important for states to realize that plain language in their ballots is a civil right for voters. In 2010, President Obama signed the Plain Writing Act, which requires federal agencies to use "clear Government communication that the public can understand and use." Moving forward, local government should follow the example of national government and ensure that their constituents aren’t confused by unnecessarily opaque language.

The state of Virginia should avoid including confusing and nontransparent language on future ballot measures. State officials can address this lack of clarity in ballot measures through many ways such as using simple, straightforward and everyday words, directly saying what will happen if they pass and making each sentence standout to avoid information from hiding behind a wall of words. Educating and informing voters before Election Day about what will be included in their ballots would also prevent confusion and discouragement in the voting booths.

Carlos Lopez is an Opinion columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He may be reached at c.lopez@cavalierdaily.com.