​Dance Marathon hopes to reach $100,000 fundraising goal leading up to April 1 event

Donations to support U.Va. Children’s Hospital

<p>The University Children’s Hospital has been a part of the Children’s Miracle network since the early ‘80s, and the first Dance Marathon at the University was held in 1996.</p>

The University Children’s Hospital has been a part of the Children’s Miracle network since the early ‘80s, and the first Dance Marathon at the University was held in 1996.

Coming up to its 20th year at the University, Dance Marathon hopes to raise over $100,000 to donate to the University Children’s Hospital.

The University Children’s Hospital has been a part of the Children’s Miracle network since the early ‘80s, and the first Dance Marathon at the University was held in 1996. Since then, the event has grown to include upwards of 30 student members who fundraise throughout the year for the main event on April 1.

“When kids are in the hospital they’re away from hanging out with their friends and being at school so the money goes to like funding … teachers that are teaching classes to the kids or social programs where kids can develop socially even though they might be in the hospital for an entire year,” said Connor Yost, a fourth-year Commerce student and co-outreach chair.

Another portion of funding goes toward child-sized medical equipment and research to help prevent diseases affecting children. Dance Marathon members are organized into committees, but are all individually responsible for rallying support in their immediate circles. Over the past two years alone, the program has seen significant improvements in funding.

Elizabeth Girvan, a fourth-year College student and Dance Marathon co-chair, said Dance Marathon raised about $54,000 in 2015 and $70,000 in 2016.

Some of the events leading up to the event include “5K in One Day,” where committee members try to raise $5,000 in just 24 hours, or individual events, where members raise money by dressing up in costumes. On Feb. 22, the group surpassed its $5,000 fundraising goal to raise $7,197.

“I did this campaign last year where I said that I would wear a full body pencil suit for the entire day on Friday if I raised $100, or something like that and I ended up raising … $150,” said Gabby Levet, a third-year College student and co-outreach chair.

These donations quickly add up to help reach the annual goal, which is revealed the day of the Dance Marathon. This year, the event will be held at Memorial Gym on April 1.

“There’s usually a DJ … then we also have a capella groups and dance groups and some of the on-Grounds comedy groups come and we have puppies, therapy dogs from the hospital, we have student speakers, Dean Groves comes,” Girvan said.

Participants do not need to dance to participate. The main goal is for participants to remain standing and engaged for the duration of the 10-hour event. Some of the most meaningful visits are from families in the Children’s Miracle Network, or Miracle Families, who benefit from the funds raised by the Dance Marathon.

Some of the students involved have personal connections to the cause. For instance, third-year College student Sabin Jackson, a Dance Marathon co-chair, benefited from neonatal intensive care and wanted to raise money for similar programs.

“My mom would always bring me to dance marathons growing up and I think it’s just … a cause I would really like to support,” Jackson said. “I love to support and I think it needs a lot of attention.”

Others were previously involved in dance marathons in high school and wanted to continue.

“At my high school we had a really big marathon dance-type thing and I knew there was something similar here, so I beelined straight for it right when I got to school,” Levet said.

Some members, like Levet, have toured the hospital and heard from some of the doctors in the field. Across the board, committee members said it is incredibly rewarding to see the fruits of their labor benefit the local community.

“[You’re] actually meeting and shaking hands with [Miracle] families that have been affected by this specific program in the past, like kids who have their lives changed by U.Va. students,” Girvan said.

As the program grows, its leaders hope to continue to increase funding, as well as participation in the event itself.

“We believe so strongly that if people care as much as we care it would not only make a difference at the U.Va. Hospital, but it will change their lives as well,” Girvan said. “We truly want this program to touch as many students’ lives as possible, as well as the lives of the families that we know at the hospital.”

Correction: This article previously included a quote from Girvan that misstated the totals Dance Marathon raised in 2015 and 2016. The article has been updated with corrected figures.