Undefeated women’s soccer topples No. 15 Georgetown and Minnesota in weekend matches

The No. 5 Cavaliers climb to a 6-0 record with dominant defensive performances

<p>Sophomore forward Rebecca Jarrett had two assists on the night, including one on an impressive counterattack.</p>

Sophomore forward Rebecca Jarrett had two assists on the night, including one on an impressive counterattack.

Virginia shut out Georgetown and Minnesota 2-0 in matches at Klöckner Stadium. In both games, the Cavaliers (6-0, 0-0 ACC) dominated on defense, allowing a combined 34-7 advantage in shots. Virginia has conceded one goal in six games, recording an impressive 25 goals on the season thus far. 

Game 1: Virginia 2, Georgetown 0

Virginia women’s soccer extended its winning streak with a win over Georgetown. The teams battled throughout, but the No. 5 Cavaliers drove past the No. 15 Hoyas (3-2-1, 0-0-0 Big East) with a pair of goals by freshman forward Diana Ordonez and senior forward Meghan McCool. Sophomore forward Rebecca Jarrett served assists on both goals.

Virginia found an opportunity to score in the ninth minute, as Jarrett dribbled the ball down the right side and found Ordonez clear in the box. Jarrett sent a cross to the open freshman and Ordonez took a quick touch and connected to slide the ball past the Hoyas’ goalie. The goal was the ninth of the season for Ordonez.

With the lead, the Cavaliers increased their control in the game, getting more chances and threatening the goal. Sophomore forward Alexa Spaanstra dribbled past Georgetown defenders with quick feet and impressive agility, attempting three shots, including a near miss in the 41st minute.

Virginia’s defense held up as the Hoyas came up with just three shots in the first half. The back line shut down multiple attempts to challenge junior goalkeeper Laurel Ivory.

The match remained physical through the second half as the Hoyas fought desperately to maintain possession long enough to advance into Virginia territory. Senior defender Phoebe McClernon worked 85 minutes, finding every opportunity to recover the ball for Virginia. Ivory received just one shot on net in 90 minutes.

The game proved more exciting in the final minutes as McCool spun past a defender before sending the ball into the back of the net in the 84th minute. After a Georgetown goal kick, Jarrett regained possession and made her way downfield, testing the Georgetown keeper again, less than a minute after McCool’s goal.

Game 2: Virginia 2, Minnesota 0

The Cavaliers recorded a sixth win against Minnesota Sunday. While neither team scored in the first half, sophomore forward Ashlynn Serepca and senior forward Meghan McCool added a pair of goals to beat the Gophers (0-4-2, 0-0-0 Big Ten) 2-0. 

The Minnesota defense blocked well in the box in the first 45 as Virginia put up 10 shots, two on goal. Despite dominant possession in the first half, the game remained scoreless as Virginia couldn’t find the net. 

The Cavaliers continued to press the Gophers with a series of six shots at the start of the second half. Freshman forward Diana Ordonez’ header off the crossbar presented a near continuation of a five game goal streak. 

A goal finally came in the 78th minute as junior midfielder Taryn Torres dribbled into Minnesota territory and passed the ball to Serepca just outside the box. Serepca sent a rocket off her right foot that hit the bottom part of the crossbar, deflecting down into the goal. 

In the 83rd minute, McCool found the net to extend Virginia’s lead to 2-0. Similar to Serepca’s shot, McCool received the pass from junior midfielder Anna Sumpter and sent a one-hopper from outside the box that slipped past Minnesota’s diving keeper. 

Virginia’s defense was consistent, holding Minnesota to a single shot in the match. Junior goalkeeper Laurel Ivory’s clean sheet was her 20th of her career. Ivory secured her 33rd career victory with the win and is now 6-0 in goal this season. 

Virginia returns to Klöckner Stadium Thursday at 7 p.m. to face William and Mary.