Fully staffed police, ambassador presence on Halloween

Dean of Students Allen Groves asked students to take extra precautions tonight and through the weekend

<p>U.Va. Police will be fully staffed tonight in anticipation of the increase in “high-risk situations” tonight and the rest of this weekend.</p>

U.Va. Police will be fully staffed tonight in anticipation of the increase in “high-risk situations” tonight and the rest of this weekend.

U.Va. Police will be fully staffed tonight in anticipation of the increase in “high-risk situations” tonight and the rest of this weekend. Both University Police and the Charlottesville Police Department are “aware” of the high level of activity that will occur this weekend and say that they are preparing accordingly. 

“[UPD will] limit the amount of leave we’ll allow officers to take, so we do have full staffing… tonight and through the weekend when folks are going to be participating in Halloween festivities,” said Ben Rexrode, Community Service and Crime Prevention Sergeant for the University Police.

The University Ambassadors will be fully staffed as well. 

“A lot of it is about having a lot of visibility… so we can prevent things, but also if there are some high-risk activities, we can intervene pretty quickly,” Rexrode said. 

Rexrode indicated that the officers on patrol will be focusing on slowing drivers to accommodate the increased pedestrian traffic and responding to the “high risk situations” inherent to Halloween, including people in costumes that limit their visibility and the increase in people who may be drinking.

UPD will be concentrating officers and ambassadors in areas where students will be, especially in high-activity areas off Grounds. 

Dean of Students Allen Groves also sent out an email to students Tuesday to remind them of alcohol safety tips. Students are encouraged to have a plan when going out that includes staying in a group and ensuring that anyone who is drinking also eats food before or during their engagement in hazardous activities. 

As stated in Groves’ email, students are encouraged to call 911 when they witness signs of alcohol poisoning, and students will not face disciplinary action from the University for seeking medical help involving alcohol or other drugs. Groves also said that students will not have to pay any out-of-pocket costs if a rescue squad is needed.