U.Va. Ambassador charged by CPD for firing gun on West Main Street

The Ambassador was not directly employed or supervised by the University

University Ambassadors are contracted security employees hired through RMC Event Management and are not authorized to be armed.

The Charlottesville Police Department charged Curtis Andrew Holloway-Jackson, a University Ambassador and resident of Albemarle County, in connection to a shooting that occurred Saturday on West Main Street. 

Around 12:30 p.m., Charlottesville police responded to a call that shots were fired in the 1100 block of West Main Street near the Draftsman Hotel. No injuries were reported, but the shots caused damage to a nearby bus stop. 

Police identified the caller to be Holloway-Jackson who claimed that a person in a passing vehicle fired the shots. However, the officers determined that the shots were fired by Holloway-Jackson, who was on-duty as a University Ambassador at the time of the report.

University Ambassadors are contracted security employees hired through RMC Event Management and are not authorized to be armed, and they themselves do not enforce the law but can alert law enforcement officials, escort individuals and identify and escort those in distress. Holloway-Jackson was not directly employed or supervised by the University. 

Shawn Jacobson, the executive director for external programs of RMC Events, confirmed in an email to The Cavalier Daily that Holloway-Jackson is no longer employed by the organization.

Monday’s press release from CPD details the charges made against Holloway-Jackson.

“Holloway-Jackson, a 28-year-old resident of Albemarle County, is charged with (4) counts of reckless handling of a firearm, (4) counts of shooting in a public place without causing injuries, (4) counts of discharging a firearm across a street, (1) count of destruction of property, and (1) count of making a false call to police,” the statement read.