Jay Huff announces return to Virginia basketball for senior season

After testing the NBA waters, Huff decides to play his senior season with the Cavaliers

<p>Huff had a breakout junior season, recording career-highs in points, rebounds and blocks.</p>

Huff had a breakout junior season, recording career-highs in points, rebounds and blocks.

Senior forward Jay Huff announced in an Instagram post Saturday that he will return to the Virginia men’s basketball team for his senior season with the Cavaliers. His decision comes after an earlier announcement in April that he would test the NBA waters and consider declaring for this year’s draft.

Huff acknowledged the support he’s received from teammates and fans during his four years with Virginia, including a redshirt season freshman year.

“It’s been a ride, Charlottesville,” Huff wrote in his Instagram post. “I wouldn’t trade my four years here for anything in the world.”

During his four years with Virginia basketball, Huff played 76 games with the Cavaliers and recorded 180 field goals. In addition, Huff has picked up an impressive 200 rebounds and 100 blocks, serving as a crucial defensive force for Virginia. 

Last season, Huff embraced his role as a veteran player, ranking fourth in the ACC with 61 blocks and averaging career highs in points, rebounds and blocks. The junior played over 700 minutes — more than his freshman and sophomore seasons combined — and led the Cavaliers with four double-doubles and a career-high 10 blocks in Virginia’s game against Duke in February. 

After a breakout junior season, many fans wondered if Huff would return for a final year. Huff announced that he was keeping his options open and considering his future in the NBA earlier this year.

“As many of you know I’ve been testing the NBA waters, and the process has been interesting,” Huff wrote. “While there have been no in-person workouts, the many interviews that I’ve done have been very positive. I truly think I have a future at the next level.”

Huff concluded his post with a Michael Jordan quote, writing “I’m back. Can’t wait for one more year in Charlottesville.”

Huff and the Cavaliers are scheduled to start the season Dec. 19 against Villanova at Madison Square Garden in New York.