After practicing social distancing for nearly five months, I came to realize one of the most disappointing things in my daily life — the inability to visit my favorite restaurants. I miss the spicy hot pot. I can still imagine the smell of the rice noodles next to my high school — let’s just say I miss a good bowl of curry chicken from a fast food restaurant.
With sufficient time to try out new recipes and the desire to entertain myself by shopping online for groceries, I searched for recipes that are doable for a college student who seldom cooks. It would be even better if the dish has proteins and vegetables at the same time in order to make a student who lays on a sofa all day and walks 99 steps stay relatively healthy.
Excitedly, I found that one of my favorite YouTubers — nya jiang — shared her newly invented recipe called “supreme curry.” This recipe satisfied all of my requirements — the easiness of cooking, the all-around nutrition and the impressive taste. I believe this recipe could serve as a fun kitchen activity and a convenient, easy-to-make dish when we want to treat ourselves while studying.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Serving size: 4 servings
2 pieces of chicken breast
4 slices of sliced cheese, any kind
2 tablespoons of ketchup
2 ½ tablespoons of coconut milk
100 g curry powder, preferably by Housefoods
400 mL of water
A couple tablespoons of oil
White rice, optional
1. Cut the chicken breast, onions, tomatoes and potatoes into small cubes and cut carrots into slices.
2. Heat the pot on high heat and add enough oil to cover the bottom. Add the chicken breast and fry it until it turns white.
3. Add onions, potatoes and carrots into the pot and fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and fully stir the ingredients. Add the coconut milk and water. Stir until mixed thoroughly.
5. Add curry powder and stir until the curry powder is fully mixed in.
6. Cover the pot and drop the temperature to a low heat. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring well once the full time has elapsed.
7. Add cheese and ketchup. Fully stir so the mixture is well combined.
8. If you choose to serve with rice, place white rice and curry in a bowl and enjoy!
If you try out this recipe, please remember to stir the whole pot of curry completely — otherwise, it may not be heated evenly and could get burned.
After you make this dish, you’ll realize how easy and simple it is to make this restaurant-quality curry. All of the ingredients can be purchased at your local grocery store or online, if you prefer. And more importantly, this recipe is a good choice for someone who has not cooked before if they want to take a little step forward. If this curry is served on a plate of white rice, it will become a nutritious and delicious meal.
You could share the supreme curry with friends or store it in your refrigerator for the future. It is an ideal recipe for students who have only a few meal swipes in the dining hall for the coming fall semester because you can cook it at night and then store it in a lunch box for the next day’s lunch. Thus, a delicious and convenient lunch could be obtained through a one-minute microwave.
If you make this recipe, please share a picture and tag @cavalierdaily on Instagram — we’d love to see your meal!