Top 10 ways to make the most of another online semester

At this point, we all think we’ve got this virtual learning thing down pat, but here are a few reminders to liven up another semester at Zoom University

1. Make it a priority to care for yourself

I think we all know why this is at the top of the list. It goes without saying that if you do not care for yourself first, then the rest of these things don’t truly matter. Recognize what you need to feel healthy, safe and fulfilled — and start climbing your mountain this semester. This is not intended to be a challenge or a series of levels that you have to complete to “win.” Instead, this tool of self-care — however purposeless it seems — is ready for you to use because you truly deserve it. 

2. Figure out your goals before the semester begins

We all fall into the trap of saying, “I have a gazillion things I want to do this semester,” but we forget to write them down. After a few weeks, it’ll dawn on you that you forgot to start working towards any of those gazillion things. Make a list of goals for the semester now — like, before the semester actually begins. This way, you can orient yourself and start the semester prepared and focused — and you won’t suddenly wake up in April and realize that you still don’t know how to knit a scarf and you haven’t spoken in any of your classes. 

3. Recognize that meeting new people is still possible

If you chuckled when you read this one, I don’t blame you. We’re in the middle of a pandemic, and the opportunities for meeting new people are few and far between. However, I want you to remember what an incredible person you are and to consider all of the people that would be #blessed to know you. If you want a romantic connection, dating apps are an option — and The Cavalier Daily’s Love Connection platform is also available to match you with other students!  Also, don’t be shy in class — chat with people if you like their shirt or if their contribution to the discussion made you say “wow” out loud. You’d be surprised to know that sometimes “class friends” become real friends — it’s one of the great mysteries of college life. 

4. Don’t write off new opportunities

Online classes can’t hold you back from everything — there are still plenty of things waiting for you beyond your Zoom classroom. These “new opportunities'' range from joining a new club, working a part-time job, getting an internship or even something simple like finding a new hobby. This pandemic has already taken so much from us, so why let it take away your ability to branch out? Use this upcoming semester to safely find new activities that spice up your life and bring you purpose. 

5. Get creative

If you are anything like me, I find this extremely difficult. I have never been particularly good at anything artistic, and I can’t knit to save my life. Once, I even tried to write a novel, but I retired after one sentence. But something I want to remember this semester — and I encourage you all to do with me — is that creativity does not require perfection or brilliance. Creativity includes making decorations for your room, trying new recipes, styling your hair in a different way or even creating a new personal style. Since we are all still rather isolated, now is the perfect time to express this creativity in your life and find new things that work for you. 

6. Make use of the University’s online resources

If you’re looking to get more involved this semester, keep in mind that the University offers virtual activities fairs for students every semester. Also, if you are looking for something a little more relaxing and passive to fill your time, the U.Va. Library offers an online streaming service for students with tons of feature films, documentaries and more. Not to mention the University still offers incredible online resources for job searches, graduate schools and next steps for students that are moving on. 

7. Engage in your classes

If you’ve found that past online semesters haven’t been fulfilling, I encourage you to actively participate and consider your course material this semester. I know — you think I’m the worst person alive for suggesting this, and perhaps you’re right. But I think there is something to be said about taking on this challenge to be present — both physically and mentally — in your classes this semester. You may discover that your classes are actually fulfilling, your professors are real, interesting people and online classes don’t all have to be terrible. 

8. Get familiar with your surroundings 

If you find yourself in Charlottesville this semester, a fun way to bring newness into your life could be exploring Grounds or the Charlottesville area. It may be a little chilly at the beginning of the semester — however, I encourage you to simply put on a coat and take a walk to see the things that your University and the City of Charlottesville have to offer. Keep in mind that you need to be safe and wear a mask, but that is a small price to pay for getting out in the open and stretching your legs. Also, your explorations may bring you to new local shops and restaurants, and who doesn’t love supporting local businesses? 

9. Document your semester

Similar to channeling your inner creativity, documenting your semester is a nice way to find a new hobby, while simultaneously keeping track of your adventures throughout the spring. Your documentation can take many forms. Perhaps, you could start journaling — whether it is with a gratitude journal or a one-line-a-day journal. Also, this could be in the form of a blog, vlog or photography collection — honestly, the options are limitless. In doing this, you may find yourself more dedicated to finding ways to fill your time. I mean, if you want your YouTube career to take off, you’re going to have to do more than staring out your window and waiting for the mailman to arrive.  

10. Be flexible 

If the human race has learned anything over the past year or so, it’s that we need to be flexible. Whether that means being willing to change your schedule by adding or dropping classes or recognizing when you need to take breaks for your own well-being, taking steps next semester to adjust in healthy and necessary ways will be extremely beneficial. Nobody truly knows what this semester will bring, but keeping an open mind and staying on your toes is the best way to stay successful and happy. Also, this new attitude of flexibility may bring you to things you had never planned for yourself — and everybody loves a good surprise, more or less.