18 cases of COVID-19 reported Monday through Wednesday, bringing the total number of active cases to 54

1,658 total cases have been reported during this semester

<p>Thursday marked the one-year anniversary of the University sending students home due to the spread of the virus, and March 16 will mark the anniversary of the first University community member to test positive.&nbsp;</p>

Thursday marked the one-year anniversary of the University sending students home due to the spread of the virus, and March 16 will mark the anniversary of the first University community member to test positive. 

Five cases were diagnosed Wednesday, bringing the total number of active cases to 54, according to the University’s COVID-19 tracker. Wednesday’s cases follow this week’s pattern of decline, with six cases reported Monday and seven reported Tuesday. Of the active cases, 44 are students and 10 are faculty and staff.

Thursday marked the one-year anniversary of the University sending students home due to the spread of the virus, and Tuesday will mark the anniversary of the first University community member to test positive. 

The current 54 active cases bring the total number of cases this semester to 1,658, in comparison to 1,548 total cases last semester.

The seven-day average of new total cases decreased from 13 on March 3 to a daily average of 3.9 Wednesday. In the same time period, the daily average of student cases in the University community decreased from 12.3 to three cases per day.

While the weekly average of number of tests administered decreased to 2,147 this week from 2,251 last week, the weekly average of positive cases remained at five both weeks.

This semester, all students living in the Charlottesville and Albemarle area are required to report for testing on a weekly basis. Faculty and staff can also undergo voluntary asymptomatic testing during walk-in testing hours. If a student fails to comply with mandatory testing, one of four punishments increasing in severity will be instituted. 

The University raised its outdoor gathering limit to 10 Thursday, while indoor gatherings are still limited to six. 

The University provides quarantine and isolation space for students living in on-Grounds. As of Wednesday, the quarantine space was at two percent capacity, while isolation space was at 1 percent capacity. 

10 patients were admitted to U.Va Health with COVID-19 Wednesday, bringing the current total of hospitalizations related to COVID-19 to 43. On average, it is taking the hospital lab about 12 hours to complete a COVID-19 test. The University has administered 217,046 tests since Aug. 17.

The Blue Ridge Health Portal, which reports cases in the greater region encompassing Charlottesville and Albemarle, reports 37 confirmed cases of COVID-19 within the past 24 hours and currently has 13,593 total cases. Since the portal started tracking data in the region, 544 people have been hospitalized and 191 people have passed from COVID-19. 

The University’s COVID-19 tracker is updated every weekday at 4 p.m. and the BRHD portal is updated at 10 a.m. daily.