Virginia Athletics reported one positive COVID-19 test result among student-athletes

At the height of the spring season, the University reports a 0.1 percent positivity rate among student-athletes tested between April 5 and April 11

<p>Barring any COVID-19-related issues, men's and women's soccer will travel to Cary, N.C. in the coming weeks for their respective NCAA Tournaments if they receive a bid.</p>

Barring any COVID-19-related issues, men's and women's soccer will travel to Cary, N.C. in the coming weeks for their respective NCAA Tournaments if they receive a bid.

Virginia Athletics reported a single positive COVID-19 result Monday over the 967 tests administered between April 5 and April 11. That marks a 0.1 percent positivity rate for the athletic department for the week. Since testing began in July, a total of 31,722 tests have been administered with 218 positives.

After a week with eight positive tests — a relatively high number compared to recent weeks — the University’s athletic department returns back down to just a single case. The positive test was “reported to the Blue Ridge Health District (formerly known as the Thomas Jefferson Health District),” the press release stated. The individual “will self-isolate for at least 10 days, or until symptoms are resolving plus 24-hours fever free.”

Once out of isolation, the individual will need to be medically evaluated before returning to daily sports participation.

Furthermore, “close contacts of those who test positive, as determined by the Virginia Department of Health, will also be asked to self-quarantine.” An individual is able to leave quarantine if they remain without symptoms for ten days, or after seven days following a “negative diagnostic or rapid test performed on or after the fifth day.”

The University adheres to the ACC COVID-19 testing protocols, which requires “high-risk” sports — including field hockey, men’s and women’s soccer and wrestling — to be tested three times per week. Comparatively, “low-risk” sports — which includes track and field, golf and tennis — are tested only once per week.

This past week, both men’s and women’s soccer finished their scheduled spring season matches. Men’s soccer fell to No. 1 Pittsburg 5-0, while women’s soccer played a pair of friendlies against No. 4 West Virginia where the Cavaliers lost their initial game 1-0 and tied the second match 1-1. Next on the radar for both of these teams is the NCAA Tournament. New this year is that the entirety of both the men and women’s sides of the tournament will be held in Cary, N.C. as a COVID-19 protocol to reduce significant travel risk.

The remainder of the spring and fall sports — such as football — who are holding regular practice have not faced any significant COVID-19-related setbacks over the past week.

Within the entire University community, there are currently 48 active tests — 37 among students and 11 among faculty and staff. The quarantine rooms — used for those who have been exposed for someone that tested positive — are at three percent capacity, while the isolation rooms — used for those who have tested positive — are at one percent capacity. The University athletic department COVID-19 cases are counted for in the COVID-19 tracker, which is updated Monday through Friday by 4 p.m.