Three new COVID-19 cases bring total caseload to 740 this fall

There are currently 17 active cases of COVID-19 across Grounds

<p>The seven-day average positivity rate this week was 0.63 percent.</p>

The seven-day average positivity rate this week was 0.63 percent.

中文版请点击此处

The weekly average of COVID-19 cases per day remained the same this week for both students and faculty, with a weekly average of two cases between Sunday and Thursday.

There are currently 17 active cases of COVID-19 within the University community, which brings the total case count for the fall semester to 740. Of the 17 cases, eight are students while nine are members of the faculty and staff, according to the University’s COVID-19 tracker

The seven-day average positivity rate this week was 0.63 percent. The one percent positivity rate among faculty and staff in the same time frame was more than double the student positivity rate of 0.43 percent.

The seven-day average of individuals tested per day was 250.6 Thursday, compared to 261.9 Sunday. Students make up a vast majority of those tested, with an average seven-day testing rate of 164.7 students and 85.9 faculty and staff. This number only includes tests administered through U.Va Health or LetsGetChecked and does not take into account other tests. 

Two patients were admitted to U.Va. Health with COVID-19 Thursday, bringing the current total of COVID-19 hospitalizations to 28. 

The University is currently at zero percent occupancy for quarantine rooms and one percent occupancy for isolation rooms. Quarantine rooms are for those who may have been exposed to COVID-19, while isolation rooms are for those who have tested positive for COVID-19.

In order to return to residential learning, students were required to either submit proof of full COVID-19 vaccination or provide documentation of an approved medical or religious exemption. 2.4 percent of students have documented vaccination exemptions, while 97 percent of students and 92 percent of faculty at the University are fully vaccinated. 

The University announced Oct. 21 that all full-time and part-time employees must be vaccinated by Dec. 8. The requirement is in accordance with President Joe Biden’s Executive Order 14042, which was issued Sept. 9 to require employees of organizations with federal contracts be fully vaccinated, including institutions of higher education which contract with the government. Previously, faculty and staff at the University were strongly encouraged, but not required, to be vaccinated against COVID-19. 

U.Va Health began offering third doses and booster shots of COVID-19 Oct. 18 in accordance with guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

The University’s indoor mask mandate has been extended until the end of the fall semester, with exceptions for activities that are “particularly difficult” while wearing a mask such as using IM-Rec facilities and participating in indoor drama classes. 

Students who are symptomatic can make an appointment on their HealthyHoos portal to get tested this Saturday between noon and 4 p.m. at the Student Health and Wellness building. Faculty, staff and students can also undergo voluntary asymptomatic testing during walk-in testing hours from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Scott Stadium and the Emmet/Ivy parking garage.

The University’s COVID-19 tracker is updated every weekday at 4 p.m.