LETTER FROM THE EDITOR: In search of a Public Editor

Be an advocate for our readers and help us tell the history of now

<p>This position is paid — the Editor will receive $50 per column, and will be expected to write two to three columns per month.&nbsp;</p>

This position is paid — the Editor will receive $50 per column, and will be expected to write two to three columns per month. 

Like any publication, The Cavalier Daily is far from perfect — if you agree, and see places where we can do better, I encourage you to apply for the Public Editor position. 

In the same way The Cavalier Daily strives to serve the community as a watchdog for those within the University and Charlottesville community, the Public Editor holds us accountable to our readers. 

Public Editors of the past have written on everything from increasing diversity in the Life desk to recruiting graduate students to pushing for more investigative efforts in the News desk. I’m excited to bring this role back to the CD, and I’m looking forward to welcoming an outside perspective who can help us bring effective change to the paper. 

An ideal candidate for this position is a graduate student with a background in media or journalism, though this is not a requirement. The Public Editor will be encouraged to read and critique our coverage, responding to areas that interest them, and should also be willing to follow recommendations from the editorial team in areas where we would like guidance. 

The Public Editor should be willing and able to interview editors and managing board members in their role — pieces like this one from former Public Editor Alexis Gravely are a good example of this relationship. We’re looking for someone who can commit to serving as the editor for the 2023-24 academic year, which will see the transition of leadership from the 134th term to the 135th in the spring semester. Ideally, the editor would start over the summer. 

If this position interests you, I encourage you to fill out our application or reach out to me at editor@cavalierdaily.com. More examples of coverage from previous Public Editors can be found here

Warmly,

Ava MacBlane

Editor, 134th term