The University Judiciary Committee reviews Clery Act and Mandatory Reporting

The Committee also got a refresher on Title IX incidents

Rapp said Committee members are only required to report crimes when they are acting in the capacity of their UJC role.

The University Judiciary Committee met Sunday for presentations on mandatory reporting relating to the Clery Act and Title IX incidents. 

Meghan Rapp, assistant vice president for Clery Compliance and Youth Protection, addressed the Committee about what crimes fall under the Clery Act and when to report these crimes. The Clery Act is the federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose information about crime on and around campuses. 

Rapp also talked about the importance of Campus Security Authorities, who are defined as those having the authority and duty to report issues on behalf of an institution’s community. Elected members of the UJC fall under the CSA title and are required to report any crimes that fall under the Clery Act. 

“We have about 1,600 campus security authorities here at U.Va.,” Rapp said. “They include police security. They also include a huge category of people who have significant responsibilities for student activities.” 

Crimes that fall under the Clery Act include aggravated assault, sex offenses and robbery, among others. Reportable locations for these crimes include anywhere on Grounds, off Grounds locations owned or controlled by the University and public property within or immediately adjacent to Grounds. 

Elected UJC officials are also mandatory reporters for Title IX violations. Title IX is the federal law that protects people from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance. 

Molly Zlock, assistant vice president and Title IX coordinator, said that Title IX is about responding to the impact of sexual misconduct.

Rapp said that Committee members are only required to report crimes when they are acting in the capacity of their UJC role, which is only when Committee members are doing UJC-related work.

“When in doubt, report it out,” Rapp said.

The UJC will meet again Dec. 3, after the Thanksgiving break.