Shatila Zaman, Elissa Trieu and Mikel Dermer

This week in science

A recent study suggests that the highest suicide rates are found in the happiest places. Though previously thought to affect only adults, research shows that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is present among teens as well and has much more detrimental consequences. Immersive Labs is working on a new prototype for ads which will analyze its audience visually and then create an ad to best fit the viewer's interests. Many restaurants have invested in new technology to use tablets to take food orders, entertain customers and process check payments, making the overall process more efficient. The Tennessee Valley Authority has settled to pay a $10 million fine and shut down 18 of its 59 coal-fired plants after multiple Clean Air Act violations. The U.S.

This week in science

DNA evidence suggesting that humans originated in Africa also indicates that modern human language first arose in southern Africa. The amount of bacteria resistant to multiple types of antibiotics has risen in meat found on grocery store shelves throughout the U.S. Emerging research suggests that people who suffer from allergies face a much higher risk of depression. Research from the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory shows biofuel from algae may be ineffective as an alternative energy resource because of the huge amount of water required for production. Studies show natural gas leaks more methane than previously thought, harming its reputation as a cleaner fossil fuel. California has passed legislation requiring one-third of its power to come from renewable energy sources by 2020. -compiled by Shatila Zaman, Elissa Trieu and Mikel Dermer

This Week in Science

Research shows that meditating allows for one to concentrate pain stimuli away. Elderly people who shop every day increase their chances of living by 27 percent during a 10-year period. President Obama has proposed reducing the amount of oil imports by 33 percent. Growing use of the world's crops for biofuels is responsible for rising food prices. NASA is now looking at a future voyage to Mars, which may take place as

This week in science

A Swedish company has created a mass market eye tracking device which will allow users to use their eyes to do many of the things they currently do on a computer using a mouse. The Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne is developing autonomous flying robots to establish emergency wireless communication networks more quickly in times of disaster, resulting in more efficient relief. A malfunctioning drill pipe has been identified as the cause of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Melting ice sheets in Antarctica and Greenland are elevating sea levels at an unexpectedly high rate. People who lack the ability to feel pain also cannot detect odors. -compiled by Shatila Zaman, Elissa Trieu and Mikel Dermer

This week in science

After 10 years of development, a recent study reported researchers now are able to inject stem cells from a patient's bone marrow into the heart, shrinking hearts which are dangerously swollen after heart attacks. The crisis in Japan is spreading doubt worldwide about the viability of nuclear energy as a safe and practical power source.

More articles »