IFC issues sanctions against 2 fraternities

Yesterday, in a formal statement, the Inter-Fraternity Council issued sanctions against Phi Kappa Sigma and Zeta Psi fraternities for behavior that "threatens or endangers the health or safety of person."

Members of Phi Kappa Sigma and Zeta Psi hurled snowballs at females participating in Inter-Sorority Council recruitment last Saturday. Inter-Sorority Council President Kristin Braggins said no major injuries occurred, although one woman received a bloody nose as a result of a snowball.

"I find this behavior juvenile at best," said Aaron Laushway, dean of fraternity and sorority life. "I don't believe it is capricious behavior, because it was not mutual. It is disruptive and clearly disrespectful."

A snowball hit first-year rushee Lauren Witthoefft as she walked to the Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority house.

"We first saw guys throwing snowballs with their hands, and later in the day some guys were throwing snowballs with lacrosse sticks," Witthoefft said. "I knew it was just a joke."

Phi Kappa Sigma President Brian Johnson said the throwing of snowballs "was not intended to be malicious." Brian Johnson also said his fraternity issued an apology today to Alpha Chi Omega sorority for disrupting their events.

Braggins said she received phone calls about the snowballs from Rho Chis and girls participating in rush Saturday afternoon.

"It definitely disrupted the flow of rush," Braggins said. "It was frustrating for us to have to take resources away from the normal rush process to control a situation that never should have happened to begin with."

According to a letter to Phi Kappa Sigma and Zeta Psi fraternities issued by IFC President Josh Johnson and Vice-President for Judiciary Michael Huneke, the fraternities' right to take part in final hours, the last night of rush, and the last day of invites have been revoked. IFC will patrol both fraternities during final hours and all fraternity members must be present. Fraternities could receive a $1,000 fine if they violate the sanctions.

Laushway said he was pleased by IFC's response.

"This was an unfortunate occurrence and I want to assure the University it is not a representation of fraternity men at all," Josh Johnson said. "We would never condone that type of behavior toward women, and as an IFC it is something we simply will not allow"