Racial epithet yelled at orientation students

A passenger in a drive-by car yelled racial slurs at a group of 10 incoming University students last Thursday night, according to Dean of Students Penny Rue.

The group of orientation students were returning from a trip to Arch's Frozen Yogurt around 10 p.m. when an unknown person in an unknown vehicle yelled racially charged slurs and then drove away, Rue said.

Nine of the students were African-American.

Rue said no police report has been filed regarding the incident. She stressed that while the details surrounding the event were unclear, students are encouraged to file reports with the Dean of Student's office should similar situations arise

"We would like to encourage students to make reports in these situations," Rue said. "While the details are sketchy, we can establish a pattern over time. Sometimes we can make connections among seemingly unrelated incidents."

No connection with any previous racial incidents has been established.

She added that the Dean of Student's office is reaching out to the students involved.

"This [incident is] particularly sad because it was their first day at University," Rue said.

She added that although the incident was troubling for some of the students, most have decided to not let the experience mar their upcoming careers at the University.

- Compiled by Matt Galati