Peer Advising Family Network welcomes first-years

Mentoring group uses family structure to facilitate student transitions

The Peer Advising Family Network, more commonly known as PAFN, is the first introduction to University life for many incoming Asian and Asian-American first-year students and transfers. The group reaches out to students even before orientation, hoping to ease their transitions into the University community.

“We are [incoming students’] first point of contact,” fourth-year Commerce student and co-chair Kristie Moy said. “We don’t want them to feel lost or freak out if they don’t get the schedule they want at orientation.”

Moy’s co-chair, fourth-year College student Olivia Szymanski, said she did not join PAFN right away — a decision which made her transition comparatively difficult.

“I did not have an easy transition [into the University] and my friends in PAFN had an easier transition due to the initial outreach,” Szymanski said. “Once the relationship is established, the advisors become friends with advisees, and it’s less like an advisor/advisee relationship.”

PAFN plans scavenger hunts, apple picking and a talent show throughout the year. They also host a garden party on the first day of classes.

“It’s tougher than I thought to be on the board — but when you see the effects of people bonding and networking, you see how much you can do for someone,” said third-year Engineering student Kate Highnam, who organizes such events.

Once connected with students, PAFN creates a “family” structure which helps upperclassmen act as mentors. Four “families”— referred to as P, A, F and N — are led by two members of an executive board, who oversee an advisee system within the family. Each advisor is assigned two to three advisees.

PAFN aims to distinguish itself from other cultural groups on Grounds, and Highnam said the extensive family structure helps to set them apart.

“We got thrown into the pot of other giant Asian organizations,” Highnam said. “We realized we needed to find our niche and put PAFN high on the list of clubs people want to stick with. We wanted to make it more of a network.”

Moving forward, members of PAFN’s executive board hope to steer the focus more toward academic and professional success of its students. The board has recently worked on planning academic events such as resumé-building and interview workshops.

“We had some advisors who said they stopped talking to their advisees after the first couple months because they seemed more established,” Moy said. “We wanted them to continue relationship, and we thought broadening our goals would break the mindset that you just need advising for the first couple months.”