Virginia Supreme Court rejects Huguely appeal

Herring hope conviction 'gives some comfort' to Love's family, friends

<p>George Huguely's (above) lawyer Paul Clement filed for a case review by the Supreme Court.</p>

George Huguely's (above) lawyer Paul Clement filed for a case review by the Supreme Court.

The Virginia Supreme Court rejected today the appeal of the second-degree murder conviction of former University lacrosse player and student George Huguely. Huguely was found guilty in 2012 of murdering his ex-girlfriend Yeardley Love, also a University student and varsity lacrosse player.

Huguely is currently serving a 23-year prison sentence.

The appeal was made on the grounds of constitutional and procedural errors. Huguely’s attorneys claimed he was denied his right to counsel when the judge proceeded with the trial despite the fact that one of his attorneys, Rhonda Quagliana, fell ill during the trial and was unable to participate in part of the process.

Huguely’s attorneys’ also challenged the jury selection in the case, saying Juror 32 indicated on a questionnaire that she may have been influenced by media reports and other conversations, and was therefore not impartial.

Virginia Supreme Court Clerk Patricia Harrington said the Court was refusing the petition for appeal, “upon review of the record in this case and consideration of the argument submitted in support of the granting of an appeal.”

The conviction was defended by the Office of Attorney General Mark Herring.

"Yeardley Love's death was an unimaginable tragedy,” Herring said in a statement. “I believe the Supreme Court of Virginia was right to reject this appeal and I hope the decision gives some comfort to her family and friends."