Snoop Dogg lights up Charlottesville

A&E gets the inside snoop on last week’s electric performance from a longtime fan

It was a warm, clear night when hip-hop artist, actor, social personality and entertainment icon Snoop Dogg came to the nTelos Wireless Pavilion in downtown Charlottesville. Snoop brought with him his way with words, compassion and positive vibes, but most importantly, tracks from his final studio album, “Bush,” set to be released in May.

As time approached for Snoop to come on stage to perform selections from his impressive discography, the crowd began to fill with one of the most diverse, lively crowds I have ever experienced. As I made my way as far to the front of the crowd as I could, I could not help but smile at the range of people present. Every type of person in Charlottesville seemed to be represented, all waiting for what we hoped would be a show for the books.

EDM and hip-hop music filled the air as DJ Thomas Dean pumped up the crowd in anticipation, giving everyone more time to chat, drink, and do whatever else it is avid Snoop Dogg fans enjoy doing.

Around 9:10, the lights dimmed further and crowd held its breath — it was finally time. Snoop Doggy-Dog burst onto the stage opening up with his own rendition of Tupac’s “California Love.” The crowd went crazy, vamping up the already-tangible energy, causing Snoop to respond graciously with enthusiasm that lasted throughout the entire show.

The energy was enthralling and Snoop’s set list was a crowd-pleasing mix of old and new hits, including from his previous title as “Snoop Lion.” Snoop’s rap was as impressive live as it is on his records, but with a refreshing twist that always accompanies live music. Snoop played for a little over an hour, never losing his cool or his composure, but making sure he took regular breaks to smoke the blunts that his crew and posse kept sending out to him. Not only did Snoop play the music which his crowd was expecting, but he also performed a heartwarming tribute to both Tupac and Biggie Smalls, which had audience members of all ages feeling sentimental.

Snoop also impressed by straying away from his hip-hop roots and performing none other than Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock n’ Roll,” to which the crowd went wild. Snoop wrapped up his show with another tribute, this time to Bob Marley. Ducking off-stage before this salute was even over, Snoop left the audience desperately waiting for an encore.

I have to say that Snoop Dogg delivered a show that was more satisfying than I had even anticipated, and despite the letdown of his swift departure with no following encore, it was the time of my life and one of the best concerts I have attended. Snoop Dogg did not disappoint, and after the show he put on for Charlottesville, I know we would all love to welcome him back again as soon as possible, provided his final LP doesn’t end his live performances.