No. 12 Women’s tennis stings No. 35 Georgia Tech, posts ninth ACC victory

The 12th-ranked Virginia women’s tennis team defeated No. 35 Georgia Tech Sunday to earn its ninth ACC victory of the season. The team’s 5-2 win over the Yellow Jackets (11-8, 7-5 ACC) ensured that the Cavaliers would reach that mark for the third consecutive year.

The Cavaliers (16-5, 9-3 ACC) got off to a slow start Sunday, as the Yellow Jackets were able to earn the doubles point with victories on courts one and three. Georgia Tech’s pair of sophomore Rasheeda McAdoo and freshman Johnnise Renaud upset Virginia’s No. 87 junior duo Stephanie Nauta and Maci Epstein to take the lead. The Yellow Jackets shut the door on doubles when No. 17 junior Kendal Woodard and freshman Paige Hourigan took down Virginia’s junior Skylar Morton and No. 31 freshman Cassie Mercer.

Georgia Tech was unable to replicate its success in singles play. Morton earned redemption on court four by dominating junior Natasha Prokhnevska 6-3, 6-2. Nauta gave the Cavaliers a lead, downing Woodard 7-5, 6-3, but the Yellow Jackets quickly pulled even with a win on court five.

Virginia responded with three straight singles victories, with sophomore Marie Faure and second-ranked junior Julia Elbaba recording straight set wins. No. 37 junior Danielle Collins put the nail in the coffin with a 5-7, 6-1, 6-0 victory on court two.

The Cavaliers will end the regular season this weekend when Virginia Tech and North Carolina State come to Charlottesville on April 18 and 19, respectively. First serve for both matches is scheduled for 12 p.m. at the Snyder Tennis Center.