​Mihaljevic, Wynne awarded ACC Performers of the Week

<p>Wynne was awarded ACC&nbsp;Performer of the Week.</p>

Wynne was awarded ACC Performer of the Week.

With 61 teams and over 1,200 competitors coming to Charlottesville last week for the Virginia Challenge, the Virginia men’s and women’s outdoor track and field teams had a lot on their plate in terms of competition. Nonetheless, the Cavaliers stepped up to the plate and won several events. For the No. 4 men, two people shone in particular, earning the honors as ACC Performers of the Week: juniors Filip Mihaljevic and Henry Wynne.

Mihaljevic, the Cavaliers’ field star, caught fire early on by winning the discus invite Friday with a season-best throw of 62.07 meters. Then, the native of Bosnia and Herzegovina continued his momentum into the next day by placing first in the shot put. With a throw of 19.96 meters, Mihaljevic broke into the top five in the nation in shot put scores.

On the track side, Wynne took care of business by winning the 1,500 meters. With a time of 3:38.05, Wynne not only captured the top time for the NCAA this year, but also received the honor of being the U.S. Track and Field Cross Country Coaches Association Division I Male National Athlete of the Week.