​Sorority Noise releases “It Kindly Stopped for Me”

Band’s newest EP is raw, powerful, heartbreaking

New England rock band, Sorority Noise, released a new album, “It Kindly Stopped for Me,” April 22. In 11 minutes total, the band pairs polished subtle accompaniments with incredibly raw and intimate lyrics to give listeners a unique mix of complicated, circular emotions and technique. Vocalist Cam Boucher used his personal experience with mental illness, and that of his friends, as the basis for his writing.

It seems likely the album is so short because it would be difficult for Boucher to spend more time wrestling with these topics or for audiences to listen for much longer without wanting to spend time alone in a dark room.

The album’s first song, “Either Way,” begins with a soothing guitar solo. Most naive listeners would consider “Either Way” an ideal driving song. However, one of the first phrases uttered by Boucher is that he had “a chance to leave the life I couldn’t lead.” It becomes clear this song is not made for listeners to enjoy while driving down the highway or lounging on a beach. As in the next three songs, Boucher’s voice fades in and out, the contrasting volumes mirroring the ups and downs experienced by those who deal with mental illnesses. “Either Way” documents Boucher’s own thoughts of suicide. He sings about days past, when he had “a chance to rid myself of my toxic ways,” then sings directly to a friend who committed suicide: “Took your last breath, I was there when you took it.” The song is the first of four that shifts between unbearable sadness and moments of light at the end of the tunnel.

In the second song, “A Will,” Boucher sings, “With you, I leave my teeth.” His nearly whispering vocals are guided by tranquil piano accompaniment, as he explains what he would leave to others if he died. On its own, “A Will” is a cross between a love song and a suicide note. In the lineup with the album’s three other songs, “A Will” considers the logistical consequences of suicide on Boucher’s belongings and his friends.

In the third song, “Fource,” Boucher takes on an even more intimate and casual persona. Listeners can hear footsteps in the background, and it sounds as if Boucher is singing and mumbling as he walks. He explains that for him grieving is smoking and spending time alone in the woods. He realizes that these methods may not work for everyone, but is hopeful that if he does what is best for him, he will find his way to the light at the end of the tunnel.

The band’s final song completes the Boucher’s journey in these 11 minutes. In this final song and final stage of mourning, Boucher whispers about the times “when it’s 3 a.m. and I’m thinking of you again.” It is clear Boucher is referring to a friend or lover who has passed away, but his explanation of these feelings of yearning and utter hopelessness in the early morning hours apply to other situations. Piano and twinkling chimes mimic lullabies and dream music, the songs that might be playing in Boucher’s head if he were able to sleep or let time pass without thinking of these departed friends.

“It Kindly Stopped for Me” is a testament to the strength of those who cope with mental illness. Boucher aims to tell listeners that through the good and bad days, he hopes they can find a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel.