StudCo passes resolutions to honor late U.Va. students

Student memorial service to be held May 2

<p>Student Council passed the resolutions at its Tuesday night meeting.</p>

Student Council passed the resolutions at its Tuesday night meeting.

Student Council passed eight resolutions April 26 to honor University students who passed away this year.

Resolutions were published for late University students Ceili Leahy, Derek Sousa, John Paul, Juliana Porter, Kurt Hilburger, Margaret Lowe, Paul Kim and Quentin Alcorn. The resolutions were intentionally passed in advance of the Student Memorial service, which will take place May 2 in Old Cabell Hall at 3:30 p.m.

Representative Body Chair Brett Curtis, a second-year College and Curry student, said signed and framed copies of the resolutions would be presented to the students’ families and include a call to action for the University to remember these students.

“[The memorial service] serves as a way of celebrating members of our community who have impacted us in immeasurable ways,” Curtis said in an email statement. “Student Council continues to work for the needs of the student body, and we recognize that these memorial resolutions are important to students, friends and family.”

The resolutions are personal to each student, Curtis said. In addition to noting the date each student died, each resolution includes at least one clause highlighting their involvements, contributions to the University and their personalities.

Leahy’s resolution points out her “passion for human rights and justice,” while Sousa’s referenced his “gentle nature,” which allowed him to form strong bonds within the community.

Paul’s resolution describes him as a “driven and determined student and friend,” and Porter’s says she “approached life with passion, hard work and compassion.”

Hilburger’s references his significant impact on Brown College, and Lowe is remembered as energetic and passionate in her resolution.

Kim’s resolution focuses on his strong moral convictions, and Alcorn is described as “mature and responsible.”

All eight resolutions include the clause, “That while we cannot replace [them], we will work tirelessly to improve the rights, opportunities and quality of life of every student in [their] honor.”

As part of a long-term effort to honor late students at the University, Student Council is working on plans for a student memorial garden.

Daniel McGovern, chair of Building and Grounds Committee and a third-year Architecture student, spoke about his plans for the garden during a general body meeting March 29.

“[The garden is] designed as a space of remembrance for students who have lost their lives during their time at the University,” McGovern said.

At the time, McGovern said the biggest challenge to the project was a lack of funding. However, the Presidential Senate has since decided to work towards the project.

“The student memorial garden is something that Student Council, and now the Presidential Senate, have agreed is an admirable and important addition to our Grounds,” Curtis said. “It would work hand in hand with continuing to remember those we have lost.”

Curtis noted Student Council is in the process of “speaking with the administration and other University departments to secure the funding and move this necessary process forward.”